Refurb 27" iMac quad 2.66ghz i5 now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benjai, Dec 21, 2010.

1. benjai macrumors member

Hi,

I currently have the first gen alu iMac, 24 inch core 2 duo 2.8ghz extreme bought oct 07. I can get said 27" iMac from refurb for around 25% off which seems a pretty good deal even though its about a year old.

I just have a couple of questions:

1) Is there much difference between 2.66 quad i5 and the latest model? It looks just like a speed/gfx bump.

2) Since its already a year old, is there going to be a new design any time soon? I don't mind another speed bump but I'd be a little annoyed if I bought this and a revamped iMac came just around the corner.

3) In which case...should I wait or get the refurb?

thanks!

2. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

My brother just bought that identical machine from Apple, refurb, and it is absolutely perfect. Every bit as good as new. My next Mac will be a refurb.

3. debo macrumors regular

There was a rumor a week or two ago about new iMacs early next year. I'm looking at the 27" refurbs as well so we are in the same boat.

4. JYork23 macrumors member

Honestly, I think your assessment is right. It really is only a slight bump in speed and graphics. Unless you can score an i7 in which the cores get a real boost, then you're really not going to see much improvement.

That said, even the i7 isn't going to score you a ton more performance out of what you already have mainly because software isn't written (yet) to take full advantage. I run most of the apps in the Final Cut Suite and rarely do I get full benefit out of the horsepower I have with my i7. The only time I can approach using all I have under the hood is running multiple instances of Quicktime Pro and having them all exporting something (such as exporting to Windows Media) concurrently.

I'm disappointed that Grand Central in Snow Leopard doesn't use available hardware more efficiently. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lion brings us. Until then, I'd say keep your money in your pocket. You already have a pretty good rig even by today's standards.

One last parting shot...is that referb one of those that had an issue with the LCD screen?