Refurb 3.06 versus refurb 2.8?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by patricem, Mar 21, 2009.

1. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Do you think the refurb 3.06 is worth $428 more than the refurb 2.8? I'm not a gamer, but I plan to keep the computer for long time. Gotta pull the trigger today...need help to decide! What do you think? Thanks!

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

LOL! You're still debating and going back and forth! Just get one! :D

If you do a lot of video rendering, the 3.06 will definitely help. What CPU-intensive apps would you run? Would you rip lots of DVD's, or recode movies? I have the 24/2.8 and it does not limit me in the least. I use iMovie, iPhoto, Capture NX (CPU and RAM intensive photo editor) and game as well. I have no issues with the 2.8, other than rendering video takes little while.

3. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

I know!!! LOL I still can't decide!!! :eek::confused::rolleyes::)

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well, I just ordered a 24" 2.8 refurb for $1199 this morning...I don't feel it's worth $400 for a couple hundred megahertz. The 2.8 refurb is a great value. The screen alone is worth nearly half the price!

5. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Okay I finally pulled the trigger...stop the torment....got the refurb 2.8, hope I get a good one!! :D

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Awesome!

Congrats! Keep us posted...

7. uncle-ned macrumors newbie

I just ordered a refurb'ed 24/2.8, too. Cannot wait.

We have a 1.4 mini now, with with a pathetic amount of ram and an old 17" inch monitor that's seen better days. Somewhere in the basement there's a Powerbook 1400 with a cracked screen, too. I've always bought the cheapest Mac I could get: Classic II (great), Powerbook 150 (not so good), Powerbook 5300 (awful, went through 3 motherboards) and then the 1400 and mini. Nice to be able to get a mid-range model this time (even if it is a refurb).

8. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Mike in Kansas...can I be lazy and just ask you about the ram? I know there are tons of threads here in the forum, but maybe you could just tell me? :eek::D Exactly what is it I need ? I was wondering where you bought yours, I've been reading how people have had a lot of trouble lately with Crucial. Thank you!! :D:):D

9. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I got the 2.8 and am really happy with it. I do more and more video editing and promised myself if I ever need the biggest iMac then it was time to plunge for a Pro. I honestly can't wait 'til I can justify that purchase :D

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I know you weren't talking to me, but I think I can help...

For my 2.8 iMac I just ordered today, I bought this 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ DDR2-800 kit from Amazon for $40, minus a $15 MIR makes it just $25!

OCZ makes good stuff, so does G.Skill. I've bought a lot of both and never had any trouble with it. I know from personal experience that both brands work fine in iMacs.

11. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I got a 2X2GB matched set from OWC (Other World Computing) for $48.99. You can then send them back your old RAM for a $10 rebate. The RAM that rogersmj listed looks like a good deal too. What I like about the OWC memory is that they have a "lifetime advance replacement warranty, which means that if it goes bad, they will send you new memory first and then you send them back the bad one.

Here is the link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/6400DDR2S4MP/

12. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

Thank you guys!! :) I was thinking maybe I should actually wait for computer to come first as some people are getting refurbs with extra ram already in. Maybe I'll get lucky!! :D The better video card would be sweet too ! :p

13. Ibonic macrumors newbie

Thanks. Ordered. Last day for the rebate's today. Great deal. I've always gone crucial, but heck at $25, I'll try this. Besides I have a $25 reward from Amazon, so I'm getting it for free once the rebate comes through.