iPad Refurb 3 or 4 for Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulesK, Nov 6, 2013.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I'm choosing between the base iPad 3 (wifi + cellular) and 4 (same), 16GB, because my parents could really benefit from the retina screen. The refurb prices differ by $70 ($409 v. $479), so I'm wondering whether to pay the extra $70 for the 4.

My parents' needs are minimal: very basic needs, so 16GB will be fine for them.

I generally know the differences between the two, but I'm leaning towards the 3 because $70 saved and no loss of features that they would actually use. Thoughts?

2. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

The only thing I'd be concerned about with the 3 is future proofing, since it isn't as fast as the iPad 4, it is more likely to not get a lot of future iOS features that the iPad 4 may get.

On the plus side for the iPad 3, 30 pin connector cables & chargers are getting dirt cheap so you can get extras for them as needed for next to nothing.

As a former owner of an iPad 3, I thought it was a great device that did websurfing and other non CPU Hungry tasks very well, I doubt they would be disappointed with it. I would still have mine if Tmobile didn't offer their awesome no money down plan on the Air...