iPad Refurb 3 or 4 for Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulesK, Nov 6, 2013.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

Dec 17, 2002
    I'm choosing between the base iPad 3 (wifi + cellular) and 4 (same), 16GB, because my parents could really benefit from the retina screen. The refurb prices differ by $70 ($409 v. $479), so I'm wondering whether to pay the extra $70 for the 4.

My parents' needs are minimal: very basic needs, so 16GB will be fine for them.

I generally know the differences between the two, but I'm leaning towards the 3 because $70 saved and no loss of features that they would actually use. Thoughts?
  2. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2011
    Saint louis, MO
    The only thing I'd be concerned about with the 3 is future proofing, since it isn't as fast as the iPad 4, it is more likely to not get a lot of future iOS features that the iPad 4 may get.

On the plus side for the iPad 3, 30 pin connector cables & chargers are getting dirt cheap so you can get extras for them as needed for next to nothing.

As a former owner of an iPad 3, I thought it was a great device that did websurfing and other non CPU Hungry tasks very well, I doubt they would be disappointed with it. I would still have mine if Tmobile didn't offer their awesome no money down plan on the Air...