Refurb 3GS???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Jul 25, 2009.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I ordered a replacement 3gs from Rogers yesterday and the rep said it wouldn't be a new phone but rather a refurb.

I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about. Isn't it still to new to have refurb units??

Although I wouldn't mind getting a refurb as I've heard they are put through many, many tests to make sure they are in great working condition and are all replaced with new parts anyways. I've been told you're more than likely to get a lemon with a new handset.

So I guess my question to you all is.....

1) do you think there is in fact refurb units being sent out already?

2) would you prefer a new or refurbed unit based on what I mentioned above?

2. dagomike macrumors 65816

I haven't heard anyone getting refurbs yet. Keep in mind that Applecare phones aren't retail phones. So, they could be thinking they're refurb when they're not.

Basically, if you're looking for the perfect phone you're going to roll the dice no matter what. If something is significantly wrong with your phone, refurb or not you'll want to exchange it.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

1) do you think there is in fact refurb units being sent out already?

It's been over a month, so I'd think there are some refurbs by now.

2) would you prefer a new or refurbed unit based on what I mentioned above?[/QUOTE]

Since the refurbs get extra attention instead of coming of a factory line, I'd prefer a refurb. However, I can see psychologically that would feel like you're getting a used iPhone. But it's a crap shoot on getting a new iPhone w/o some problem, although all these problems are mostly what you hear on here, a forum site.

4. eliteneo macrumors member

I would assume the refurbs would be coming out in about a month, because apple gets the refurbs from returns and then sends them back and refurbs them. So in order to ship them out they have to have a lot, and have done the work on them. So I think in about a month they will arrive.

5. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I wonder what kind of testing they do on these phones before they're ready for resale?

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

anyone know?

7. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

How can you tell if it's a refurb or not? I understand the white box ones can be refurb or new. I'm about to get an out of warranty replacement for my 3GS and I assumed I would get a refurb. I'd heard so many stories of people exchanging them for yellow screens, loose silent switches & whatnot so I thought there would be refurbs available already.

8. abhi macrumors member

I'm also going today to Apple store to pick my replacement for 5 days old 3GS. The guy at the store told me it will be in white box. They won't give brand new black sealed box for replacement.

Is white box phone refurbished one? Again if in future I want to sell to someone else, the black original box I have will not match s.no with the replacement device.

Thanks

9. equlizer macrumors regular

If its refurbished, they usually only fix the problem noted then flash the NAND memory (which clears everything...and i mean EVERYTHING!)