Refurb activation/cancellation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ben1969, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ben1969 macrumors member

I've searched around for answers to my question, but would like to see if anybody has been through the process I want to attempt and might warn me off anything I might be doing that is wrong.

I just purchased one of the $249 refurbs, but am stuck with Verizon for another 6 weeks. I'd like to use the phone as an ipod/wifi in the meantime. I was planning to...

1. Activate as a new AT&T customer, getting a new cell number.
    2. Cancel within 3 days to get a full refund. The phone should work as an iPod and with wifi, right?
    3. In six weeks sign up (again) as a new AT&T customer, getting a family plan w/two free phones, and transferring my existing cell numbers from Verizon.
    4. Transfer my iPhone onto my AT&T family plan number (adding $20 for the data plan).

Am I ok to cancel and then return to AT&T, and to do so with the same iPhone? Will this raise any red flags with AT&T?

Any advice would be appreciated (including simply directions to any relevant pre-existing threads).

2. Go-Rebels macrumors newbie

I have the same question but am only two weeks away.

And I hate to wait!

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I dont remember entirely why, but I think AT&T monitors for people who sign up and cancel and sign up again.

It might be if you are doing the free phone thing, but I dont remember for sure...why not ask AT&T for a temporary phone number/activation? They can probably arrange something for you...

4. Eärendil Guest

hey

Buy the iPhone, use Ziphone to activate it but not unlock it..... after 6 weeks restore it and then use your AATTTTTTATATA sim... there you go. : )

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

This is your best advice.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Considering that unlocking voids the warranty, I would NOT do this just for 6 weeks. I don't see the point in unlocking anyway, but I wouldn't risk my warranty for that short amount of time.

7. beejam macrumors member

Give ATT a call. I have the same issue, but they said you can get a temporary number. Then when your Verizon is up, they will do the transfer of your old number. Phone rep said there was no charge to do this.

I have two weeks left on Verizon so I'm just waiting it out (plus apparently my refurb from ATT is now on backorder!).

8. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Activate/unlock question

Sorry, but I want some clarification -- can I use ZiPhone to activate, but not unlock, so that I can then restore the phone later to its original factory setting? I'm using Verizon and don't yet get SIMs -- if I temporarily activate (either by cancelling an ATT activation or via Ziphone), do I then take the SIM I get with a new phone from ATT and put it into the iPhone (after, of course, I have to through the process of porting over my Verizon number to the new ATT phone)? Thanks!

9. Eärendil Guest

Yes, when you use Ziphone you can unlock activate and jailbrake, OR you can activate to use it as an ipod touch (without phone capabilities), OR another option for ipod touch (not your case).

It will void your warranty, but when you restore it will be as new.

If your phone breaks you can always restore and no one will know you used Ziphone.

That's what I would do, it will save you time and money and trouble with a temporary line.

10. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

why would you want to activate and use it for about 3 days, then cancel and sign up all over again in a few weeks? why not just wait and save the time, hassle, etc.? also, i'm sure they'll look at you cancelling then signing up again a few weeks later and note it on your account. not sure what flags that could bring up but i'm sure they'll keep an eye on you for one reason or another

11. Eärendil Guest

Thats why i would use Ziphone, Activate and use as an ipod touch with camera, then restore after 6 weeks and get your new and fresh ATT SIM. : )

12. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

ziphone...

...it is. I want the advanced option, and then just click on activate iphone? Thanks for all the help!

13. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Well...

...I've been having trouble activating with ziphone. Here's what I've done:
    1. Installed ziphone.
    2. Ran the advanced, "Activate iPhone" option
    3. Rebooted when Ziphone was complete

When the iPhone reboots it returns to attach to iTunes/slide for emergency graphic and when it connects to iTunes I am prompted to activate through AT&T. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any help...
    ps I believe i have firmware 1.1.4 -- 04.04.05_G when I dial into the field test

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Have you actually opened it and turned the phone on? The refurb I bought yesterday was unlocked when I took it out of the box.

EDIT: Nevermind.... missed your last post. Good luck!

15. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

The refurb did arrive activated (kind of)...

I could access wifi and mail, sync pictures, but had strange results when trying to copy/sync music from itunes and when trying to sync contacts and iCal info. In iTunes it would look like I had successfully copied music to the iPhone, but when I opened the iPod info on the iPhone no music would be there. Contacts and iCal info would go through the sync process (very quickly) but no info would be transferred to the iPhone.

Anyone know why only some of the iPhone capabilities would work?

So, I was considering using ZiPhone (given that I really would like to use the iPod and calendar functions) when late in the day yesterday the iPhone froze. When I rebooted it I was given the dreaded connect to iTunes/slide for emergency prompt and have been stuck there ever since.

I have tried several times to activate (under the advanced panel on ZiPhone 2.6b). After ZiPhone runs, the phone reboots and I get the same connect to iTunes/slide for emergency prompt. In the background iTunes opens and says that the iPhone is in recovery mode and asks me to click ok, but I just ignore iTunes.

I've checked the firmware using the field test and I believe i have firmware 1.1.4 -- 04.04.05_G when I dial into the field test.

Not sure if I'm am missing some painfully obvious step or what. Should I be using the "jailbrake and activate" option instead? I have no interest in adding apps, but if it helped me activate...

Again, I really appreciate all the advice. This forum/site is full of helpful, generous experts!

16. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

No go...

with jailbrake and activate, either. When the iPhone reboots get the connect to iTunes/slide for emergency. Am I missing a step? Feels like I've tried ever permutation...

17. Jenheta macrumors regular

I had similar plans of yours. Actually, did these steps work out ?

If you activate and then deactivate your SIM, the phone is not under
    warranty, right ? The only good thing is to have not void the warranty forever.

Step 2 works ?

Thanks

18. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

I don't really know -- if I can't get ZiPhone to work then I will investigate further. I certainly would not want to void the warranty, if possible. I'm also counting on being able to sign up an AT&T family plan and get new phones and then replace mine with the iPhone. I'm somewhat concerned about cancelling a plan with AT&T prior to doing this.

19. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Heard that the refurb's that AT&T were selling have sold out quickly. Figures, with a price drop like that, of course they'd be selling like hot cakes.

20. ihatelowfatmilk, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  21. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Just sign up with ATT now. Get 1 line, get your free phone, then use that # as the activation number with the iPhone.

Then in 6 weeks, add a line by porting your Verizon number. Then just swap sims from that phone into the iPhone.

22. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Late yesterday I remembered reading something about being able to terminate Verizon early due to a raise in text message rates. Since I am not on a plan the rate change would "adversely affect" me, so I gave them a call and tried to terminate the contract early with no penalty. After about 20 minutes of insistence, a supervisor agreed to do so! I signed up for an at&t family plan (the min $59), will get new phones, and will have my Verizon numbers ported. From what I've read elsewhere in the forum, when the new phones arrive I will activate them and then be able to replace one with the iPhone via iTunes (adding $20 for the data package), right? Thanks for all the help!