Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustDom89

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a Refurbished or New Macbook Air (1.6ghz).

I have the choice of getting it from apple.com or macmall.com

Has anyone had problems with macmall or apple refurbished stuff?

Also, is there anything wrong with this model?..the rev a 1.6 model..

I just figured it's way cheaper than it was a couple months ago..

I just don't want to get it and there's going to be problems with it..

Would a reg uni macbook be a better choice?

I really admire the air though

thanks for the help

dom

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Get a unibody MacBook or refurbished Pro

Instead of wasting your money on an underpowered and overpriced MacBook Air with no optical drive, I would go with a new unibody MacBook or a refurbished MacBook Pro. It only makes sense. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't waste your money on an Air! :)
I just bought my 2.0Ghz unibody MacBook and am absolutely loving it!!!

Btw, if you go refurb, make sure you do buy the AppleCare Protection Plan

Let me know what you think.

T

The Toddfather

Instead of wasting your money on an underpowered and overpriced MacBook Air with no optical drive, I would go with a new unibody MacBook or a refurbished MacBook Pro. It only makes sense. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't waste your money on an Air! :)

Did you own one?

ValientHimself

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2007
Chicago

REALLY?!??!? No optical drive?!?! I've never heard that before! Surely it comes with a floppy drive though, right? :rolleyes:

Of course, it could not possibly be the case that his needs might be different, and that he might not need the extra processing power of the MacBook or an optical drive. It's especially funny that you call the Rev A overpriced, when the refurb is now cheaper than the MacBook which you say that you purchased.

Sorry for being mean, but your post was just ridiculous and completely unnecessary. How about asking what the guys needs are before giving recommendations?

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I really admire the air though

That goes a long way to living with any shortcomings you may encounter.
Macmall, great prices, so-so return service. Stick with Apple, their refurbs are immaculate and you can easily be returned.

You can get an Macbook, but I guarantee you your Imac will start to collect dust. The Air is a great combo that gets you to think of offloading heavy work (ripping DVDs) to the IMac and using the Air for other things.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
MacBook all the way!

REALLY?!??!? No optical drive?!?! I've never heard that before! Surely it comes with a floppy drive though, right? :rolleyes:

Of course, it could not possibly be the case that his needs might be different, and that he might not need the extra processing power of the MacBook or an optical drive. It's especially funny that you call the Rev A overpriced, when the refurb is now cheaper than the MacBook which you say that you purchased.

Sorry for being mean, but your post was just ridiculous and completely unnecessary. How about asking what the guys needs are before giving recommendations?
You weren't mean and you have a good point. However, I didn't say the refurbished Air cost more than the new MacBook, I said it was overpriced. But you are correct, the new uniboby MacBook is 50 bucks more than the refurbished 1.6 Air. However, I think the new MacBook is worth the extra fifty and I explain below.

I think the NEW unibody MacBook is better than the REFURBISHED Air becasue:

1. Its brand new (it seemed to me that whoever created this thread might be skeptical on a refurbished product, not sure though)

2. It has an optical drive.

3. The new integrated NVIDIA graphics in the unibody MacBook will blow away the first gen Air graphics.

4. More connection options on new MacBook.

5. Removable battery and hard drive.

6. The new LED Backlit Display

7. Larger hard drive and faster processor.

Therefore, for those reasons, I think the new unibody MacBook is a better choice for only an extra fifty bucks. However, you might need to add the cost of a superdrive to the MacBook Air and that is a hundred bucks new at the Apple Store. It is thin and cool looking, but to me it just doesn't make sense.

I may be a noob in terms of postings, but you gotta start sometime right? ;)

I sure hope my opinion helps and didn't mean to upset anyone. :) :)

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

ValientHimself

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2007
Chicago
I think the NEW unibody MacBook is better than the REFURBISHED Air becasue:

1. Its brand new (it seemed to me that whoever created this thread might be skeptical on a refurbished product, not sure though)

2. It has an optical drive.

3. The new integrated NVIDIA graphics in the unibody MacBook will blow away the first gen Air graphics.

4. More connection options on new MacBook.

5. Removable battery and hard drive.

6. The new LED Backlit Display

7. Larger hard drive and faster processor.

Refurbs aren't a bad deal. You get the same warranty from apple that you get with any new computer, so if anything does go wrong you are covered in the same way.

Everything else goes to what your needs are. Take this with a grain of salt, because I am typing this on my new Rev A MBA that just came in tonight, but for my purposes as a law school student I don't need an optical drive, better graphics, more connections, a bigger hard drive, or a faster processor. I have a bad back from a hockey injury I sustained roughly 7 years ago, so any extra weight I can save walking a mile each way to school every day is fantastic. Further, I am looking at my screen all day long, and the screen on the MBA is vastly superior to the screen on the Macbook.

The removable battery would be nice, but if I need a new battery I would have to go to the Apple store anyways, so really the only difference is that I would have to wait for someone else to change my battery for me.

I for my Air off eBay for $825, so for my needs this thing is perfect. The Macbook has it's merits for sure, but so does the Air for some of us.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Macbook and mba

Refurbs aren't a bad deal. You get the same warranty from apple that you get with any new computer, so if anything does go wrong you are covered in the same way.

Everything else goes to what your needs are. Take this with a grain of salt, because I am typing this on my new Rev A MBA that just came in tonight, but for my purposes as a law school student I don't need an optical drive, better graphics, more connections, a bigger hard drive, or a faster processor. I have a bad back from a hockey injury I sustained roughly 7 years ago, so any extra weight I can save walking a mile each way to school every day is fantastic. Further, I am looking at my screen all day long, and the screen on the MBA is vastly superior to the screen on the Macbook.

The removable battery would be nice, but if I need a new battery I would have to go to the Apple store anyways, so really the only difference is that I would have to wait for someone else to change my battery for me.

I for my Air off eBay for $825, so for my needs this thing is perfect. The Macbook has it's merits for sure, but so does the Air for some of us.

It is unfortunate that you have a bad back and the MBA does help in that area, but the fact that it has an optical drive, better graphics, more connections, bigger hard drive, and faster processor is important to most people and those facts shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.