Refurb Airport Extreme or brand new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ccolaco, Dec 24, 2008.

1. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Anyone think its safe to buy a refurbished Airport Extreme or should I go brand new. It is a difference of $50.

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

My refurb airport extreme works great never had a problem but I wish I would have waited for a Time Capsule.

3. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking of buying a refurb time capsule but im not sure if i trust a refurb hard drive in that thing.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

True, the airport extreme has no (edit: less, I am not sure if it has none) moving parts so it should be more reliable. Plus I do kinda like having a portable HD for time machine for when I am on the go.

5. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

My concern now is if I will be able to use a hard drive with the airport extreme for time machine. I know the capability was enabled in a firmware update a while back but I'm not sure if apple fixed this with a new update since they introduced the time capsule.

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

You mean with the hard drive plugged into the airport's usb? I am pretty sure you can but not absolutely.

I do keep my external hard drive plugged straight into my macbook as it is only for that machine and sometimes I do take it with me; so, I can't answer that question for sure.

7. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I want to network my external hard drive on the airport extreme and use it with time machine. I believe this requires Airdisk which at first was not supported by Time Machine, and then with a firmware update on the AE, was enabled. But im not sure if it has been deactivated or not. I need to know for sure before I buy.

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

This is from another thread (dated Dec. 4/2008) so I can not guarantee its accuracy. The thread also said that the external hard drive had to be non-usb powered, meaning it must have its own power supply.