Refurb Airport Extreme - which version is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Nov 15, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I want to get the newest Airport Extreme... and would love to save some money. I don't see any model numbers or anything like that on the apple online store for the refurb airports... anyone have a better way of finding out?

2. hickster macrumors newbie

Once you "add to cart" it will show the version (grayed out- but visible). That's how I got my FB763LL/A ;)
    hickster

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks for the great advice! Unfortunately for me, they are not the same version... Bummmmmmer

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

same boat

same here. I really want the newest model, the MB340 i believe. Refurb store still has the 763. I can live without it for a while, but i really want a better router so that i can stream my movies to my PS3 from my iMac. I think i will wait for the new ones to hit the refurbished store.

5. hickster macrumors newbie

You might want to check out this thread. I'm glad I was able to get the FB763LL/A. It's been a rock solid performer with very good range. It's dual band and I have seen no reports of any real improvements with the "newer" 340. Streams great to my PS3 (a big plus with the new Netflix streaming) and has never dropped out on any of my devices. Very robust signal.
    My Airport Express (g) was struggling (iMac, Powerbook, PS3, Wii, 2 iPhones, streaming music) limited range and dropouts were somewhat common.
    Besides, I kind of like buying from the refurb site. Every refurb that I have gotten has been perfect. I somehow have this perception that the goods have been thoroughly and individually checked, repaired, and tested by a technician. Even more so than the production line versions. Wishful thinking?
    I sure have had good luck with refurbs so far.;)
    hickster

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I actually used to have the model you mention in my apartment. The range couldn't reach all the way in the far corner so I used an Airport Express to extend the network. However, I got the newest 3x3 version, and I no longer need the Airport Express! So performance wise, i don't notice a difference, but range wise, it's much improved. I want the extended range of the new model so that's that. Anyhow, I ordered the new one!

7. hickster macrumors newbie

Good deal! Nice to hear the straight scoop from real world testing and experience. :)
    hickster

8. vader26 macrumors regular

I just chatted with an Apple Store rep and they said that the one listed in the refurb store is the newest Oct. 2009 model. They attributed the different model number to it being a refurbished product. I am a bit skeptical...

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

The change of model number will be the first letter. With the US store, it's from M to F. The following letter and 3 digits will be the specific model number. As the latest AEBS (new) is MC340LL/A, logic states that the refurb will have a model number of FC340LL/A. As you have an FB763LL/A, it's actually a refurb of the MB763LL/A. While that is indeed a dual band version, it is not in fact the latest revision with the extended range. Sorry to say, but you were lied to.

Edit: what happened to the post that stated the guy had FB763LL/A?

10. vader26 macrumors regular

Edit: what happened to the post that stated the guy had FB763LL/A?[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too.. Strange.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That was me. I copied the model # from my invoice (purchased 24 days ago) then checked the invoice and they differed. There was another issue with the telephone sales rep lying about delivery times and such that already had me going (it could have taken a month if she had not said I'd get it in 3 days).

So when I posted "I called and asked and they said FB763/LL was the 'most recent'", it got me thinking about what was written above about the MB versus FB. So I called again. Calling Apple on Black Friday is like going to the stores today. Annoying and took about an hour.

First they tried to sell me an Airport Express to extend my wifi. I told them that unless it was free I was not interested in adding more crap to my arsenal. Then they explained to me about the design difference and said there wasn't any. It was not that they were lying, they simply meant that design wise the so-called antenna change was insignificant. However, being a woman of principle I believe that they should honor what they say. In short, skorpien couldn't be more right. This information alone has helped me with future refurb purchases. Also it has taught me not to bother calling as that was clearly a bad idea. In the end a nice guy by the name of Will said I can return my AEBS FB763/LL for a new AEBS MB340/LL. While yes, I did have to pay for the second one, I paid $118 + $9 tax out the door with free overnight shipping. I will return the other and get back $139 that I paid on 11/3.

My point is not to boast, it is to say that skorpien has taught me something. The FB763/LL is NOT the one with the redesigned antenna, and if you do get shafted or mildly screwed then it is good to just be calm and nice because it got me a brand new model/non-refurb and I recovered $20 in the process.

Oh and you all aren't crazy, I had my post removed until I understood why I was looking at an invoice with an FB763 and an order form with a FB340 #.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

Well I'm glad you got your issue sorted! And glad I could provide some information. Not to mention I'm definitely glad I'm not going crazy and seeing posts that don't exist haha. And my apologies for calling you a guy. I only saw your post momentarily and hadn't checked the name of the poster.