refurb battery question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baxingo, Jan 25, 2011.

1. baxingo macrumors member

I just ordered a refurb 2010 13" macbook pro, and I'm wondering how degraded the battery will be when I get it? They say 8-10 hours, I don't think I'll get that, but will I be getting at least 7?

2. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No macbook lasts 9-10 hours, i don't know where apple gets that from. But yeah a new battery lasts 6-7 hours, i don't know about refurbished macs.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How much time you get on a charge is completely dependent on what you're running and how your MBP is configured.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I think he's asking if refurbs have used batteries in them that could have some wear and tear on them already. I THINK a new battery is part of the refurb process but I'm not positive. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A new battery isn't necessarily part of the refurb process, unless the old one had problems. However, any refurb model is covered by warranty against any defects, including a defective battery, and qualifies for AppleCare coverage to extend the warranty to 3 years.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yea but even if the battery isn't defective but is used, it will sure last less than a new one. Does that count as defective?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Apple is specific about what constitutes a defective battery. Read the Battery FAQ I posted, especially the sections "BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED" and "BATTERY LIFESPAN"

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Surely Apple will bet that any battery will outlast a 3-yr AppleCare run, whether refurb or new. It's basically a gamble that in my eyes is a wash. What I mean is, with a refurb, you might get anywhere from equal life to a few months less battery life. And by life I mean a tolerable and useful battery capacity. The upside of the gamble is, you may very well have a better chance of it entering defect status while still under AppleCare. Probably only a hair of a better chance, but if that did happen, you got yourself a new battery a few years into owning your computer. Whereas the guy who bought new, he could end up with a defective battery 37 months into ownership, and be s*** out of luck.

It could go either way is my point, so best not to worry about it.

9. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Just a question, when my internal battery dies, apple says to send it in or take it to an apple store. But you can only send it in if you live in USA or Japan. I live in Canada so apparently I cant? Also I can't take it to an apple store, because I live in Saskatchewan, and we have no apple stores in our province. So is there any solution aside from taking it out of province?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have several options: