Refurb BlackBook not very pristine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GlynJones, Sep 4, 2007.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    Ordered a refurb BlackBook before jetting off on holiday 10 days ago.

Arrived back and after picking up the MacBook the thing was filthy and had quite a few scratches on the case. Mouse pad shows quite a bit of wear and accessories scratched as well.

Very disappointed but after a trip to Maplins for computer cleaning cloths and screen cloths it's come out ok except for the scratches and Mouse pad wear.

I'm at a bit of a quandary. Do I just accept it and look at it as saving £169 on new (I have a £23 voucher if a chose to return and order new)? Do I return it and buy new? If so would I have to pay a restocking fee even though rejecting it during the 14 day period?

The accessories are not too bad. The remote is very scratched and I could always get a new one. Does the power adapter have a plug cap on the Mag connector like on my old Powerbook? If it does then that is missing.

Oh what to do. I’m looking for some good advice?

A bonus is that I did get an iLife 08 DVD drop in.

Thanks.

Glyn.

2. GAS macrumors regular

You get refurbs cheaper because they have either been faulty or returned, you should have expected cosmetic damage, I'm sure apple even tell you about cosmetic damage.

3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

If you look at the refurb site it states:

They are in 100% working condition, and are then sold as refurbished product. As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations.

I am aware of the Refurb lottery. I'm just asking for advice on what I should do but thanks anyway.

4. Simon1966 macrumors regular

I ordered a refurb MBP recently and when it arrived the case was pristine, sadly the screen had rows of dead pixels, so i returned it and ordered a new MBP 2.2GHz SR and it is perfect.
    I really think you should return and pay the extra for a new machine.:)

Simon

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Unless you're religious about protecting your MacBook, it will probably pick up the same sort of wear over a short period of time anyway. I personally don't think it's worth a 15% restock fee, but maybe it's worse than your description makes it sound.

Sorry to hear you got a refurb in less then than tip-top shape. I've ordered quite a few refurb items from Apple.com, and everything has always been minty fresh (iPods and Macs.)

6. anothermacaddic macrumors member

What must have happened to apples strict policy on refurbs in these cases I wonder? These must have slipped through some very tiny cracks. Hmm maybe the size of the GRAND CANYON MAYBE???

7. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

If it's very very badly damaged, I suggest that you get a new one... Better to waste a few hundred then have a 2000 buck machine you don't fully love..

8. carsncars macrumors newbie

It doesn't sound too bad, nothing outside of "normal" wear for the average user.

It's up to you whether the looks are that important or not. :) It's refurbished, so you get what you get.

9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

i'd send it back. To paraphrase someone else recently on this forum, you'll rarely regret spending the extra, but you might always regret not spending it...

10. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

That was the decision I came to so I rang Apple up for an RMA number. They agreed to forgo the restocking fee as I was ordering a brand new one.

Hopefully should arrive in the next few days.

You play the "Refurb Lottery" sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.