Refurb bought online, repair or exchange at local Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PaulieORF, Mar 5, 2009.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

My brother bought a refurbished Mac Mini online a few weeks ago, it was working fine up until a few days ago when it started to give him a plain grey screen at power on, but it never gets beyond that. He put the Leopard DVD in to see if he could boot from that, but it still stays at the grey screen and the disc just keeps spinning and DVD drive is very loud. He tried some potential solutions I found online for him from Apple but none worked. So my question is, if he brings it into the Apple Store will they exchange it on the spot since it's under 90 days, or since it's a refurb will they not do an exchange, and instead only offer repair service?

Thanks.

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

They will probably attempt to repair it first.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bought a refurbished iMac which arrived with a problem with the AirPort card.

My local Apple Store were prepared to repair it, but for a refund (which I took because it was in a very poor condition) it had to collected by a courier and sent back to Apple.

4. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks guys. His was in great condition on the outside, so if they could repair the thing it would be cool.