Refurb Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Delirium39, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Delirium39 macrumors regular

I've been thinking about getting a 30" ACD, and it doesn't look like the new model is coming out anytime soon, so I may settle for the old one. I've been looking at the refurbs, and they're discounted quite a bit. Has anyone had experience with Apple refurb monitors? Any scratches, scuffs, etc. on the display or case? Does anyone know if they replace the casing by default? I'd really hate to spend $1,000+ and have blemishes. Thanks!

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Get a friend who's a student to buy you a new one for less ;)

3. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

Get the new 27" iMac. Has a better backlight, same resolution, accepts external video input and you get a full computer with it.

4. Delirium39 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting idea, but it has some downsides. Resolution is 160 pixels smaller vertically on the 27", and you have to have the computer on to use it as a monitor. That's 365W for the 27" vs. 150W for the 30". Plus, you can only use DisplayPort, which my Mac Pro does not have.

5. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Actually from what I have been hearing you can use one of apple's display port connectors (i.e. displayport to DVI) to connect it to your mac pro.

6. vixapphire macrumors 6502

tell more. what's a new one cost at student discount?

7. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Uh, they don't sell new 30" displays anymore and student discounts don't apply to the refurbished site. A student discount will only get you $100 off a new 24" CD so you're better going with refurbished. I've had nothing but good results from the refurbished site...

8. Delirium39 thread starter macrumors regular