Refurb Exchange or New iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laughingperson5, Apr 27, 2009.

1. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Hey people,

Yeah, so I'm one of the many others who are starting to build up dust under their screens. This is starting to become a nuisance to me and I want to get it exchanged. BUT I only want it exchanged if I am getting a new iPhone instead of a crappy refurb. What's more likely to happen? Me getting a Refurb or a New one?

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Refurb, but not a crappy one. A refurb is better than new. It goes through tougher QC.

3. laughingperson5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know how the process works. But the reason I don't want a refurb is because my mom bought a refurb iPhone 3G and she has had to make like around 4 exchanges since.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That's what they want you to think.

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I think they are both equal crap honestly lol

iPhone 3G is like playing russian roulette. You gotta lower your standards.

the subsidy cut more than the pricetag! also QC, 1st gen was much more consistent

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I think you may be a little confused as to what a "refurb" actually is? Let me explain ;)

The majority of the electronic components of the iPhone are soldered to a PCB (Printed Circuit Board - see below).

When a faulty 'phone is returned to Apple, it is obviously checked and the fault located. In the event of a faulty electronic component, it is cheaper to replace the complete circuit board with a new one. Faulty/damaged cases, switches, screens etc are simply replaced with new components. After testing, the 'phone is packed in a plain box, ready for distribution. What's more the original warranty is still intact.

Now, apart from the fact that the 'phone is not in it's original printed box, what you now have is effectively a brand new 'phone. As has already been said, it is probably better than the original because it has been individually reassembled and checked.

So, to answer your original question, take the refurbished 'phone and try to keep it in a dust-free environment!

Good luck :)

Attached Files: