Refurb i5 quad core 2.66 or Refurb i7 quad core 2.8?

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Is it worth the extra $127?

What do you guys think?

Thank you!
From what I see it is an extra $170. And I semi-disagree with the previous poster. I don't think it is that cut and dry. For $170 you can almost buy an extra 8GB of RAM. Then you can have an i5 with 12GB RAM. That is a pretty nice setup. That's what I did.

But the previous poster is right. Harder to upgrade the CPU.

tturland

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
From what I see it is an extra $170. And I semi-disagree with the previous poster. I don't think it is that cut and dry. For $170 you can almost buy an extra 8GB of RAM. Then you can have an i5 with 12GB RAM. That is a pretty nice setup. That's what I did.

But the previous poster is right. Harder to upgrade the CPU.
What about the fact that the i7 has Hyper Threading and the i5 hasn't? Isn't that worth the difference alone?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
What about the fact that the i7 has Hyper Threading and the i5 hasn't? Isn't that worth the difference alone?
to me, i thought the refurb i7 would be better than the NEW i5. So I think it's better than the old one for sure, even if it's $170 more.

goncode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I ended up getting the i5. I'd rather spend the extra money on more ram...

Thanks for all your suggestions!

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
to me, i thought the refurb i7 would be better than the NEW i5. So I think it's better than the old one for sure, even if it's $170 more.
HT would only be useful if you use apps that make use of it. Obviously, you are going to get a speed bump, albeit negligible just by processor speed alone. But the i5 with Turbo Boost is going to be just fine for a majority of tasks. That said, if you can afford both extra RAM and the i7, go for it.

(Although, I think this poster just got the i5).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.