Refurb iMac 24" 3.06 GHz: Right Choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matt1219, Nov 20, 2008.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

I'm purchasing a Refurb 24" iMac 3.06 GHz today with AppleCare for myself (education discount). I was wondering before I buy, is this the right decision? I want a machine to last me at least 4 years until I go away to college when I get an Apple Laptop (whatever it may be called =D). I was originally going for the low grade refurb 8-core Mac Pro, but I didn't have the money, and I didn't want to shell out another $250 for a monitor, and over $100 more on AppleCare. I just want to know if this cpu will last software updates and etc. over the course of the next 4 years.

Another question, it says it ships within 1-3 days for the cpu, so if I order it at like 5:30 ET, will it ship out today since Apple is in California (3 hour time difference)? Also, I know the standard shipping takes 2-5 days. My dad bought our current family iMac refurbished, and he said it shipped very quickly. Although I believe my dad, has anyone else on the East Coast (pref. NJ, NY, CT, PA) ordered online? If so, can you tell me how many business days it took for it to arrive?

Thanks. I know I have a lot of questions, but please try to answer them as I am going to purchase it within the next 2-3 hours.

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yes, the iMac will last you through at least 4 years. Apple still supports Macs that came out 4 years ago, so I don't think they'll drop the iMac support any time soon. Like I said, PPC machines still get software updates so Apple will still support your iMac 4 years or more from now.

It should ship today, I live right near Cupertino and I can tell you that if you order before around 5-6 PM (our time) it will most likely be shipped today.

3. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Even if it says ships in 1-3 business days?

4. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, Apple always estimates really long ship times, but in reality, the time is much shorter, usually in the first or second day of ordering.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

It depends on what you intend to use the computer for. The imac should be good for all but the most demanding applications. You said you were looking at a Mac Pro so maybe you were thinking of 24 track audio recording or HD video editing? If so take another look at the Mac Pro. But for most normal uses the imac is more than enough. For example i run Aperture and Photoshop CS3 and it works well and fast on most images. It does slow down when i work on some very large files from scanned film that are in the 100 to 300 Mb range.

And then there is the problem of the glossy screen. For critical color work it is not the best but again it depends on what you do with the iMac.

6. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was only looking at the MP because the expandability factor. And the glossy screen won't bother me. I mostly do video editing and not too extensive music recording/editing.

7. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular