Refurb iMac 24 screen defect?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jasimon9, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jasimon9 macrumors regular

My new (well, refurb) iMac 24 arrived on Tuesday March 17. So after 36 years in software development, I am again a newbie, since this is my first mac.

The screen defect I am writing about is pretty minor, but just wanted input. I used piXel Check. On each color and black, no issues. But on white (that is, full white screen) I see in the lower right corner some brownishness. Is this what people have been talking about?

It is kind of brownish in a small area in the lower right, and same thing in lower left, but much less.

It is hardly noticeable and I am wondering if I should just live with it, or what my options are.

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Folks primarily complain of "banding" or large areas of brighter or darker screen. I too see some darkness in the corners - almost like vignetting on a camera image.

3. Gloops macrumors member

I've got a very slight brownish vignette in the bottom corners of my new (2008) 24" 3.06. It's not as bad as on my old 20" white iMac, which became quite noticeable after a while and started to grow upwards in streaks, like mould! It's one of the reasons I got a new Mac - I use it for Graphic Design so don't want distractions.

I can notice a slight gradient on the screen too - it's slightly lighter on the left than the right, with a vague yellow tint in the centre. But since the machine feels hotter on the left than the right I'm not going to bother changing it because I think it must be a universal design flaw. I've got one dead pixel top right too.

I must say I'm not too keen on the glossy screen either. I don't want to see my physog looking back at me while I'm trying to work!

Apple ain't what they were.

4. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know I am not the only one, although it sounds like my situtation is not as bad. I wrote in another thread more details, titled "Refurb vs. Clearance?"