Refurb iMac 3.06 or wait for updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glowjangles, Oct 21, 2008.

1. glowjangles macrumors newbie

I am seriously considering purchasing the top of the line 24" iMac from the refurb store for my graphic work, daily browsing, light gaming, and eventually some work in logic.

From what I've been reading throughout the threads, This mac matches all my needs. Some have recommended waiting for the new refreshes. Will this effect the refurb prices on the 3.06? Will the new updates be so tantalizing I will opt for a new one? I want this to stand the test of time; snow leopard will come into play I'm assuming.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Bobeder9 macrumors member

If you need it now, buy it now. Nobody knows when the next revision will be and what it will offer. When a new iMac is released the price of the refurbs will dramatically go down but that is technology. There will always be "another revision around the corner."

3. glowjangles thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I mean there are some patterns we can see. New graphic card updates are imminent no? I suppose I'm asking if the iMacs (or any of the refurbs) tend to disappear when the new ones come out. Will the prices drop? Will the current new ones take it's place in refurb alley?

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

The next update will almost certainly update the ailing Radeon 2600s in the low and midlevel models, but I wouldn't count on having a significant update to the high-end 8800.

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Its doubtful that any update would upgrade the Nvidia 8800 -- especially since the current drivers don't even take full advantage of it yet.

6. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I would just wait to be honest. U don't want that sinking feeling of regret being one of "those" guys that bought just before the new ones came out. Plus the new imac's may have added features that you would want.