Refurb iMac has OS X 10.5.2

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jasimon9, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jasimon9 macrumors regular

I am working with my newly received refurb iMac. I was about to install iLife 09 which was included in the box, and it said I have to update OS X. In checking the installed version, it is 10.5.2 9C3033 instead of a new version.

I am a bit surprised that a refurb has an OS which appears to be 10 months old.

Is this normal?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It should ship with its factory original operating system and at the time that was 10.5.2. Current hardware might have somewhat more recent versions but don't expect the latest unless it was just released.

Why is this strange?

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't think it's terribly outside the norm. 10.5.2 is a little older than I'd expect, but not having the very latest isn't that strange.

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Click the Apple icon, Software Update, download everything.

Done.

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Bought a Macbook last March, it still had Tiger installed and came with a Leopard drop-in. Leopard had been out for over 4 months. I assumed this had been a brand new unit, they just unboxed it and repacked it in the brown box and tossed in the disc instead of installing the new OS. Maybe yours in fact was a brand new unit also.

I also got a 24" a week or so ago and couldnt install iLife 09 until I updated. Cant remember what version I had, think maybe 10.5.4.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

That's all I wanted to know. Good answer.

8. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your answer. Good to know that it would be factory original.

I would have expected a refurb to be reinstalled with the latest OS release, simply from the perspective, of why would anyone not want that? I assume that "ask anybody and they would say, yes you should install the latest version." So why not just do it that during the refurb process. Seems strange not to.

The only reason I could see not to would be if there was "something special about the machine" that would result in further OS updates being "not recommended." But I can hardly imagine that.

9. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Mine came with 10.5.4 installed and on the install DVDs