Refurb intriguing me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I saw the link to AT&T's refurbished 8GB iPhones for $249. Considering these bad boys were $600 a year ago, it seems like a good deal.

I've been waiting for 32GB and 3G to buy an iPhone (at the $399 or $499 price point), but this has me itchy. Maybe you ladies and germs can help me out.

1) I'm on AT&T right now. I think I'm right about this, but if I buy this refurb phone now, I can get whatever fancy dancy iPhone Apple throws at us, say, next year without any problems, right? I'll probably ask someone at an AT&T store. Since there's no price markdown for a new contract, I assume you could buy a new iPhone every day with no issues from AT&T (aside from an $18 fee).

2) How do you 8GB owners feel about the storage capacity? I obviously couldn't store ALL of my music on there, but I can barely fill up my iPod Shuffle with what I listen to on a daily basis.

3) Any other issues I should think of? Considering my RAZR doesn't have the Internet, I don't think EDGE will really turn me off. We also have a lot of hot spots around here and don't really have 3G where there aren't a ton of hot spots.

Thanks for all the info!

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

1) Yes, you can get whatever you want. You're paying full boat for the phone so it doesn't matter to them if you get six different phones this year. You just take the SIM card from the first iPhone and put it in the second phone, connect it to iTunes and activate the second one and so on. Your contract doesn't restart with each successive activations.

2) I have an 8GB and I'm generally right on the edge of capacity. I had a 16GB Touch prior to the iPhone and that was a very comfortable amount of space for me. The iPhone is hugely different from your Shuffle. Having video on it is very nice but takes up a lot of space.

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Well I'm always at the edge of capacity on my 30GB iPod, so I know I'll be using fuzzy math to get stuff on there. Thing is there are only about 20 albums I regularly listen to. I don't plan on ditching the old iPod (it still works fine) but I'd like to have just one device to carry with me most of the time if I chose. I especially want an iPhone for all of the connectivity (e-mail, Internet, calendar). I figure this would be kind of the gateway drug to a later iPhone in a year or so. At $250, it's hard to pass up (not to mention it's way better than my cracked RAZR).

4. pazreal macrumors regular

I also use a older (larger) iPod combo with the iPhone. For extended driving or trips I just plug in the hd based iPod. I never go through all my iPhone music regularly. Then again I also don't really watch videos so that helps with space.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I watch videos a good bit of the time, but not usually more than 1 or 2 in a day. I can easily create an "iPhone videos" playlist and just sync that bad boy. I've got my videos ripped so they look good on ATV yet aren't overly huge, yet a 2-hour movie still takes up a gig.

6. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Where are you finding iPhones for $249? On the Apple site they are $349 refurbished.....?

7. username7410 macrumors member

att.com

8. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Thanks a LOT, no I may have to get an iPhone!

:D:eek:

9. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Just got one from AT&T. Log on to your account (assuming you use AT&T already) and then do an upgrade for your phone. On the checklist for searching phones, just select Apple and Refurbished. You get 2-day shipping fo' free.

It's a hard deal to pass up. Wait until they add a whole buncha other stuff to pay full price. A gateway iPhone, as I say. :)

10. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I just bought one and couldn't be more happy with the purchase! This was the price I needed to get me to take the plunge and with the one year warranty can't be beat. Was thinking about holding out for the 3g but then I was thinking that there wasn't even 3g in madison, WI where I go to school and spend most of my time!

11. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

That was part of my process as well, although I live in the Atlanta burbs, where there is a lot of 3G coverage. But I may be moving farther out soon where 3G isn't yet. However, if I do this I can have a CHEAP iPhone and wait until they really start bumping up the storage past where my 30GB iPod is. AT&T can expand their 3G network, the newer models can drop in price over a couple of years, yada yada yada.

The key thing is we're getting an iPhone for $250. We'll be able to use the 2.0 firmware update and buy games and stuff. Just BOO YAH.