Refurb iPad 1 for $299

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chris10304, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Chris10304 macrumors newbie

Looking to get an iPad 1 for as cheap as possible for a kid to use. Currently the 16gb wifi only is $299 on the Apple store online. Is this likely to come down after Wednesday? Not sure if I should wait to see or snatch it up now.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is possible that the price will drop further - or you might be able to get refurb/new iPad 2 for that price. We won't know until Wed.

3. falcora macrumors 6502

You could always buy one now while they have stock, and ask them to price match it if it goes even lower after wednesday.

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Even though it's a bargain, I would advise against buying an iPad 1. It'll be two generations behind on Wednesday. I can only imagine what kind of support will be cut from it.

At least I wouldn't buy an iPad 1 now.

5. Karr271 macrumors regular

I don't think the price will go down ask believe it was recently lowered. I anything, it'll remain the same until refurb iPad 3's are listed, which will be a while.

6. falcora macrumors 6502

true true, it's quite likely that the iPad 1 won't support iOS 6.0 which will likely debut in Q3 this year.

7. D0lphin2 macrumors newbie

D0lphin2

Price Match?

Will the apple store price match if I bought an Ipad 2 now? What are the chances of the Ipad 2 not able to support iOS 6 with the 512 Rom?

8. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Considering the iPhone 3GS came out in 2009 and is still able to support ios5...I think the original iPad (2010) would be able to handle ios6. The original iPad is what.. A little less than 2 years old? It's no slouch.

9. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I know it's no slouch. I have one as my main iPad. But I definitely wouldn't buy one right now. It's an investment that's bound to cause grief due to it only being more crippled in iOS 6 by either speed or lack of features (planned obsolescence).

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My boss has an iPad 1. Teased me a bit for buying an iPad 2 instead of a discounted first gen model. Well, he bought a dock connector to VGA adapter, and it wouldn't work on his original iPad. So he gave it to me. Score.

A lot of the time on iPhone upgrades, you will lose some functionality with certain devices. I have two cheapo docking music players that don't charge any iPhone my parents or I own now (iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S).

Wait until the iPad 3 event. You will be able to find a new iPad 2 16GB for $350 easily. You might luck out getting one of those cheaper, or maybe you can find an iPad 1 for like $150.

This close to a new model launch, don't buy. Wait a few days and see what you can find.