Refurb iPad buying advice; Air 1 or mini 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Jun 6, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all.
    I am selling my iPad mini 1 along with my old Pebble Smartwatch in order to get a new iPad. I am looking to buy refurbished; I'm looking at cowboom.com and they have some great deals there. They have the 32gb Air 1 for $309 or the mini 2 for $269; both refurbished. So, should I make the jump to the bigger screen, or stick with the mini?

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

Get the iPad Air 2 with 2gb ram
    Refurb from the Apple Store

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Too expensive for me. I only want to spend around $300.

4. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

If you enjoy the size of the mini 1 and the way it fits in your hand when you carry it, go for the mini 2. If you've felt as though a bigger would really be nice, go for the air. Some like one, some the other; it's a matter of personal preference.

5. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I have the same 32 gb air 1 and love it. My wife has the mini and loves it. I guess it's all a matter of preference. If you have a chance to go by an Apple Store or maybe best buy and get your hands on both, that will probably make the decision much easier so you can order the one you like the best.

From personal experience, I like my air because it is my main browsing device so I like to have a little more room than the mini. Both are excellent devices that will be good for the next few years.

6. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Depends what you use your iPad for. If you are fine with the mini size, stay with it. I would say that the main pro of the Air is if you want a bigger screen for viewing content like video, or photos. The keyboard is another thing to take into consideration. The Air's landscape keyboard is much better for finger typing (as I am doing now) and the Mini's portrait keyboard is much better for thumb typing. The last thing is weight. They are both super-light but the weight of the Mini is great.
    If I didn't use my iPad for work, I would definitely go with the Mini. It is perfect for casual use, but the Air is just that bit better for productivity.
    Hope that helped you

7. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I am a Mini fanatic, but I do have both. Both are great devices. Since your original question asked about screen size and not the convenience of the smaller device I'd have to say that deep down you want the Air. Go with your gut and enjoy!

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The only reason to go with the mini would be is if portability and the small form factor are extremely important to you. Otherwise, the experience will be better with the Air in every other regard. The larger screen makes a huge difference IMO as far as games and most other apps are concerned.