Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Just thought I'd share a few thoughts of a refurbished iPad I bought from Apple. It recently became available on the Canadian Apple store for $80 off the regular price. Since I have 0 interest in a camera/FaceTime/SD Card slot (speculative of course) on the iPad 2, I figured I'd bite.

Ordered on a Sunday, shipped from China that evening and arrived in Alberta on Thursday, not bad if you ask me!

Here's what surprised me the most. The actual product is literally indistinguishable from a new iPad (and yes I have seen a brand new iPad being unboxed in person), except for the white box that says "Apple Certified Refurbished". The accessories look brand new with plastic wrap and the iPad itself is absolutely flawless. Zero signs of any use at all, screen is perfect, no dead/bright pixels. Came with iOS 4.2.1 pre-installed. Same warranty/return policy as a brand new iPad as well.

Let's put it this way, If i didn't know it was refurbished, I would have thought it was brand new.

If anyone is debating a refurb iPad, based on my experience, I say go for it!

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Just thought I'd share a few thoughts of a refurbished iPad I bought from Apple. It recently became available on the Canadian Apple store for $80 off the regular price. Since I have 0 interest in a camera/FaceTime/SD Card slot (speculative of course) on the iPad 2, I figured I'd bite.

Ordered on a Sunday, shipped from China that evening and arrived in Alberta on Thursday, not bad if you ask me!

Here's what surprised me the most. The actual product is literally indistinguishable from a new iPad (and yes I have seen a brand new iPad being unboxed in person), except for the white box that says "Apple Certified Refurbished". The accessories look brand new with plastic wrap and the iPad itself is absolutely flawless. Zero signs of any use at all, screen is perfect, no dead/bright pixels. Came with iOS 4.2.1 pre-installed. Same warranty/return policy as a brand new iPad as well.

Let's put it this way, If i didn't know it was refurbished, I would have thought it was brand new.

If anyone is debating a refurb iPad, based on my experience, I say go for it!
543.jpg

I did the same... I second your opinion!

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
That's because refurbs are just as good as brand new, if not better. There are no defects with refurb iPads because they're all tested and have a large amount of the parts replaced.

Aibolit66

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
NH, USA
This is from Apple Refurbished store :

"Apple Certified Refurbished We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

jdstoddard

macrumors member
May 27, 2003
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just ordered mine today! Should be here Tuesday shipped from Harrisburg, PA. Not sure if I've seen one if the refurbs ship from there. Enjoy it!

techluvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
I got one too. As another poster said, completely indistinguishable from a brand new unit. Only way to tell is the box. Works perfectly. Apple refurbs are the way to go. My iPhone is a refurbished replacement unit as well. Refurbished iPhones, at least for me, have always been far more reliable and durable than brand new, probably because they're individually inspected vs. only a few inspected out of each batch of new ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.