Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I need to buy a new phone. I intend to buy the 2019 iPhone (whatever that is) in September, so need something to use as my daily driver until then.

Don't really want to spend lots as it's only for the next seven months, but equally I want to ensure it will be capable enough as a daily driver (e.g. isn't going to run out of battery with moderate use halfway through the day).

I can get a refurbished iPhone 6S from a third party reseller within the budget I have in mind. At a push I would go for the 7, but only if it's really going to be a big difference in terms of performance/battery life/capability.

So....is a refurbished iPhone 6S going to be capable enough to last me until September as a daily driver?

Bonus question - I've heard there are battery issues with older iPhones and recent OS updates. Does this apply to the 6S? I read somewhere that Apple will replace the battery for a nominal fee, so again wondering if this applies?

Thanks.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
If you want to spend the least amount of money, don't buy a refurbished phone but rather a second-hand model. You're only going to overpay now and lose more money after the new phones are launched (who still wants to pay anywhere near current pricing when the phone becomes even more dated in September?).

I think for the same or less depreciation, you could get an 8 Plus or X second-hand. If you really think the 2019 iPhone is worth the wait, you don't want to use a phone like the 6S for seven months.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I myself and probably still millions of others are running a 6s as a daily driver. Works well and still acceptable on ios12

The battery replacement by Apple was $29 till end of last year. Now $49. or buy the ifixit kit for 29 and do by yourself if really needed

Last edited:

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I myself and probably still millions of others are running a 6s as a daily driver. Works well and still acceptable on ios12

The battery replacement by Apple was $29 till end of last year. Now $49. or buy the ifixit kit for 29 and do by yourself if really needed

Thanks - I assume you're not planning on upgrading until September or longer? Did you feel the need for the battery replacement or still on the original battery?
[doublepost=1549109593][/doublepost]
If you want to spend the least amount of money, don't buy a refurbished phone but rather a second-hand model. You're only going to overpay now and lose more money after the new phones are launched (who still wants to pay anywhere near current pricing when the phone becomes even more dated in September?).

I think for the same or less depreciation, you could get an 8 Plus or X second-hand. If you really think the 2019 iPhone is worth the wait, you don't want to use a phone like the 6S for seven months.

Here in the UK the price for refurb and second hand is pretty similar. Lots of third party reselleres that offer both. I'm looking at around £180-£200 either way. The cheapest second hand 8 Plus or X I could find in a reasonable condition was around £530 (X) or £440 (8+).

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks - I assume you're not planning on upgrading until September or longer? Did you feel the need for the battery replacement or still on the original battery?

I will probably buy the xs used after the prices will fall end of the year.

I had my battery replaced by Apple last July as the battery health was down to 75%.

Keep in mind refurbished by 3rd party doesn’t mean anything except that they maybe clean it from the outside:)
With Apple refurbished you get a new housing and battery with full warranty

Reactions: NewBench

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
[doublepost=1549109593][/doublepost]

Here in the UK the price for refurb and second hand is pretty similar. Lots of third party reselleres that offer both. I'm looking at around £180-£200 either way. The cheapest second hand 8 Plus or X I could find in a reasonable condition was around £530 (X) or £440 (8+).

It’s very cheap, I get why you’d be looking for that model. Make sure that refurbished actually means new battery, because that’s not always the case.

In terms of depreciation, the X may not be that expensive to use for the coming months. Up front it’s more money, but I always take the resale value into account. May be a good alternative to your current plan.

Reactions: NewBench

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you find a 6S in terms of what you’re looking for, it’s more than enough capable to carry you until you’re ready to upgrade in the fall again. The A9 processor/2 GB is plenty sufficient.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I need to buy a new phone. I intend to buy the 2019 iPhone (whatever that is) in September, so need something to use as my daily driver until then.

Don't really want to spend lots as it's only for the next seven months, but equally I want to ensure it will be capable enough as a daily driver (e.g. isn't going to run out of battery with moderate use halfway through the day).

I can get a refurbished iPhone 6S from a third party reseller within the budget I have in mind. At a push I would go for the 7, but only if it's really going to be a big difference in terms of performance/battery life/capability.

So....is a refurbished iPhone 6S going to be capable enough to last me until September as a daily driver?

Bonus question - I've heard there are battery issues with older iPhones and recent OS updates. Does this apply to the 6S? I read somewhere that Apple will replace the battery for a nominal fee, so again wondering if this applies?

Thanks.
In short, yes.
Problem with second hand 6S is the battery. Not only it has the smallest battery amongst the iPhone 6/7/8, it can potentially suffers a battery malfunction that Apple has a specific program for the 6S for battery replacement. I had to replace the battery on mine twice (good thing they were free).

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010

Thanks.

It certainly runs iOS 12 very capably in terms of performance. Battery life is another matter. I have a brand new apple replaced battery and installed as new iOS. Screen on time is about 2.5 hours before it dies. You have to decide whether that is sufficient for you. Personally I carry a backup iphone SE on business trips to last thru the day

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
iPhone 6S was my favorite phone until I got my X last year. I like it so much I kept it as a backup in case my X ever has issues. I had the battery replaced in December and it works very well on iOS12. I expect it to be supported for a couple more years so I would not worry about using it until fall 2019 at all.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for all the replies.

Seriously considering a 6S Plus......2750 mA-h battery compared to the 6S (1715). Watched a few comparisons on YouTube and performance wise it still looks very capable with iOS12.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks for all the replies.

Seriously considering a 6S Plus......2750 mA-h battery compared to the 6S (1715). Watched a few comparisons on YouTube and performance wise it still looks very capable with iOS12.
Well thats a different story. Two hand use over one hand use makes a bigger point than battery life...
But there are dozens of threads discussing the „right“ size. There is no right answer. Very personal choice

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Well thats a different story. Two hand use over one hand use makes a bigger point than battery life...
But there are dozens of threads discussing the „right“ size. There is no right answer. Very personal choice

Just trying to weigh-up the cost comparison of having a 6S but having to pay extra for the battery replacement, compared to a 6S Plus with a much bigger battery that might not need it.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
I was using a 6S until it died on me yesterday. It’s a very capable phone that should be fine until September and probably beyond.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No sense for 7 in this case, 6s/SE is the best choice.

For me, The iPhone 7 had to be one of my favorite phones, and it was a substantial upgrade over the 6s in terms of the water features with the water resistance, stereo speakers and dual camera (With the Plus model). But I also owned the 6S, which is still a solid device.

Sean bh

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
I'm on an 6S Plus with IOS 10.3.3

Any issues upgrading to the latest IOS 12? Does upgrading make it run slower or use more battery?
I'm hesitant on upgrading. Since I had super slow issues when I upgraded my iPhone 3 several versions. Then the same thing with my 4S. I feel like upgrading past 2 full versions from any factory iOS always slows the phone down and drains more batter

Any onions?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
usually you are right. but 12 for me is fine. this was an exemption.

11 was horrible. regarding battery I can't say as in the 2 years in between my battery died 2 times (exchanged)

Sean bh

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
usually you are right. but 12 for me is fine. this was an exemption.

11 was horrible. regarding battery I can't say as in the 2 years in between my battery died 2 times (exchanged)

Any regrets or issues? I heavily use and rely on mine for work. And can't ever go back once I go to the latest 12.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.