Refurb iPhone Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfish0879, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jfish0879 macrumors newbie

So I just received my 8GB refurb iphone 3G and it came locked. My contract with Verizon isn't up for another five days, so I didn't want to activate the phone, but I still wanted to use the ipod/wifi features of the iphone. So I resolved to plug it in to my iTunes. It didn't ask me for any AT&T information and just started syncing and that was it. So did I avoid full activation? It has no service, and my Verizon phone is still working. Does the activation work a little differently with refurbs?

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The refurbished iPhone 3G is already activated. The SIM is not until you use the web page below or call Customer Care or even stop by a store to activate the SIM.

SIM Activation: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

Dave

3. jfish0879 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh awesome thank you. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't accidentally caused myself an early termination fee. Very happy with it. No scratches whatsoever.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No problem, as payback could you post a quick summary on the condition of your refurbished iPhone 3G. Did you get it from AT&T or Best Buy?

I am sure others would be interested in your experience.

Dave

5. jfish0879 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from AT&T's premier store last Friday. That was when they had just re-posted the refurbished iPhone's but at that time they were $149. Then three days later I saw the price dropped to $99 so I called AT&T and they credited $50 back to me. Phone arrived today in an AT&T box with the outlet plugin, the usb cable and iphone with documentation. The iPhone was in great condition. Looks completely brand new. No flaws that I can see at all. Very happy with it. Unfortunately can't actually use the phone 'til Wednesday.

Also it was pre-loaded with 2.1 so it needed an update.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Great thanks for the "Refurbished iPhone 3G update". Why do you have to wait until Wednesday?

You can activate your SIM and get a temporary AT&T number now and you can then port your Verizon number later or not at all if you don't like the 3G service from AT&T.:)

Dave

7. guitarboy53 macrumors newbie

guitarboy53

I purchase a refurbished iPhone from ATT the last week of January. I received the phone two weeks later due to a long back order.

The iPhone was in perfect condition--not a scratch on it! So far it has been functioning like new. I am very happy with my purchase and the fact that I saved some $$$ by going the refurbished route.

8. bradys-dad macrumors newbie

Refurb iPhone 3G

I purchased my Refurb iPhone on New Year's Eve and it came about a week later. No scratches or marks that would make me believe it was not new out of the box, etc. Been happy with it ever since, although I miss Verizon's service at times. Mainly when there's been a few times when I'm trying to make a call on the 3G network and can't, then switch over to EDGE and finally am able to make the call go through.

However, my main issue for posting this is when I purchased my Refurb at&t's website said AppleCare wasn't available for the Refurb ones but I was able to purchase it through Apple's website. I figure the minimal cost is worth it if I even have to have the battery replaced.

9. bradys-dad macrumors newbie

Refurb iPhone

Just thought I'd share my experience with a Refurb iPhone, and Apple's warranty dept. I checked my warranty expiration date on apple's website and it showed a date of October 09, but I bought my iPhone at the end of December 08, and activated it on 1/06/09. Common sense would say my warranty would start on the date of activation, and common sense rang true. Apple emailed me that they had adjusted my warranty start date to my activation date.

Again, this is on a refurb iPhone 3G. So, if you have any qualms about purchasing a refurb know that I have reset my warranty date and also purchased AppleCare for it. Just like you could on a new out-of-the-box one, but I saved $100 bucks by going the refurb route. I also recently purchased a refurb iMac for my kids and love it as well....

10. Lovethebeach23 macrumors newbie

How do I activate it

I just received my Iphone today and I have had it on the charger for 3 hours. The directions say to charge it completely, then plug it into Itunes and then make a test call. I am afraid to plug it into itunes because I don't know if it is charged all the way and I don't want to mess it up! What do I do.. and I'm not very good with technology, so specific directions would be very much appreciated!! PLEASE HELP!

Thank you

11. Tate macrumors member

when you see the plug and not the lightning bolt it is charged.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Go for it. It will charge while plugged into iTunes also. You should have no problem.

13. rudetude macrumors newbie

even though you buy it from the at&t store and sign a contract you still have to activate it through itunes?