Refurb iPhone is here !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jenheta, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Jenheta macrumors regular

I am glad to say that I received a pristine iPhone from AT&T.
    It came inside that ugly AT&T orange box. All components look
    brand new, except the base of the dock (previous owner should
    clean better his house :p ).

The iPhone itself does not have a single scratch. There is a plastic
    cover on the screen (not sure if the new models come with that).
    I checked the warranty and it will be valid until next October.
    Its serial number indicates is from week 37 but the firmware is 1.1.1
    with baseband 04.01.13_G.

Odd things : it came unlocked :eek: !

I would like to check how many cycles this battery has but I do not
    know how.

Happy day so far :D

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sounds about like my experience. After reading some posts on here, I was expecting it to look like a hammer had been taken to it after a nice soaking in battery acid. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I will say that PUTTING A SCREEN COVER ON IS THE MOST ANNOYING TASK ON THE PLANET.

Mine came with 1.1.1 as well. Just took a few minutes to update to 1.1.4. It came with a polishing cloth (which some apparently didn't) and also came paired with an Apple Bluetooth headset (software-paired...didn't have a $130 thing with it).

EDGE isn't quite as slow as I had thought. It seems like a snail after starting on WiFi, but considering it's a portable Internet device (which I have never had before), it's hard to complain. I also now understand the complaints about the lack of Flash. I wanted to check out the Ted's Montana Grill Web site. You just about can't do anything there without it. ARRGH. Hopefully that'll come sometime this year.

Phone quality: THIS THING IS AWESOME. It's much louder than my RAZR ever could dream of being, including the speakerphone. It sounds almost as good as the speakers in my MBP.

Wooooooot.

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

It came unlocked? are u sure?

4. Jenheta thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed !
    Can I ask you one question ? When you updated the firmware to 1.1.4
    did iTunes stop asking to activate the phone ?
    If I select "cancel", things look fine but everytime I connect to iTunes I got the same question.

Thanks, J.

5. Jenheta thread starter macrumors regular

It's odd but from what I heard, nothing works out of the box without
    activation. I took the phone out of the box and everything was accessible,
    except regular phone calls.

Tomorrow I will put a T-Mobile card on it but from my understanding, this thing is fully unlocked (not jailbreaked...yet :rolleyes: )

J.

6. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Yup mine came today as well, in that ugly orange, white, and blue case lol.

Phone is in great shape, everything else it came with seems to be in perfect shape..

I have no idea if my phone is locked or unlocked? I'm a noob on that, but it did pick up my wireless connection at home here and I was zipping through on the web just messing with it.... I have no activated it yet or anything. What does that mean?

My phones software version says 1.0.2 (1C28).............. :confused:

My T-Mobile contract ends on about April 4th ish. So I have a little. I need to look for a case now!

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The first thing I did was activate it on my AT&T account. If anybody has watched the setup video at Apple.com and wonders, when you already have an account, it tells you that you can just add the data plan and then gives you extra text messaging options.

Anywho, I don't know what happens without activating.

8. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

Well unlocked means that you can use it on any wireless carrier. It sounds weird that it would come unlocked.

Sounds like you can use the other features on the phone w/o unlocking it.

9. Jenheta thread starter macrumors regular

After playing around, it looks to be pre activated (and not unlocked). Actually, this is funny. First time I turned it on, I had access to everything but the phone service. I noticed some issues when filling search fields or links at some pages. Then I turned it off. After starting it again, I got the "Please Activate" screen.

I turned it off again...and surprisingly, turning it on did not show the activation screen, but gave access to all services again.

10. ballen420 macrumors 6502

If you upgrade, it will lock the phone until you activate it.

I have Verizon for the next few weeks, so I was on the fence with trying to upgrade the software for fear of locking it, but then looked at all the cool things you can do with a jailbroken phone and gave it a shot. I plan on signing up with AT&T, but I am definitely going to keep the phone in a jailbroken mode until at least 2.0 comes out.

Ziphone was easy as pie.