Refurb iPods- Good or bad?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by magicjames92, Jun 19, 2007.

1. magicjames92 macrumors regular

i got a refurb ipod and wondering how they are. is the battery life good? are there scratches?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Refurbs Are Supposed To Look And Perform Like New

Refurb means they replace parts that are scratched. Should also have a new battery inside. Should look and work like new.

4. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Apple refurbs are usually pretty good. I've had pretty good luck so far with computer equipment

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, that's about 99% correct. Refurbished iPods have had a dodgy part replaced. If it was the battery, then it'll be a new battery. If it was returned by its original owner because of a dodgy hard drive, then you'll get the original battery but a new hard drive. :)

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Not always, I thought that some Refurbs were also ones returned by people (gasp) :)

As for quality, my last iPod was a refurbed fifth gen. It was pristine quality and worked just as well as a new one. Besides coming in a different box, I would not have known it was any different than a new iPod.

7. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

i ordered one. it has to ship here.

Everything sounds good. cool.

8. saturnino3 macrumors member

I :apple: refurbs!

Your new iPod will identical (except the box) to a retail iPod. If anything is remotely wrong, Apple is quick in making you whole on refurbs products.

Enjoy!

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I bought a refurb iPod with video and it came absolutely flawless. You can't go wrong with a refurb.

10. mikefly macrumors regular

do believe that returned product is resold as "refreshed", not refurbed.

Mike

11. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I've had two refurbed iPods off of Apple's site in the past, and both were perfect. I was impressed that they looked and work 100% as well as a new one, just without the normal packaging. They looked flawless too. Good deals imo!

12. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

I bought a refurbished pink 6 gig mini for my wife about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. Haven't had any problems. It has been great: perfect. It literally gets daily use - all my kids music is on it to help keep them quiet while riding places in the van. Country goes Raffi, the wiggles, Enya for putting them to bed, etc.

And it occasionally goes jogging with my wife.

13. jcoop macrumors member

I've had three iPod refurbs--a 10 GB second-generation model a number of years ago, and currently a 60 GB video iPod and a first-generation 2 GB nano. All three arrived in as-new condition and worked flawlessly (the first one, which I gave to my brother after a couple of years, has recently developed some quirks, but it's had a productive and hard-working life).

I wouldn't hesitate to get a refurb again.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I can vouch for Apple's refurbs, both computers and iPods. I have one of each on separate occasions. Both came in perfect condition and has worked flawlessly since I got them.

15. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I have two refurbished iPods: my own 30GB 3G model going on four years old now, and a black 30GB 5G model I bought for my girlfriend nearly a year ago. No problems with either one, though it's about time for me to replace the battery in my own iPod for a second time.

So yeah: two thumbs up from me.

16. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

17. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I've had a total of 3 refurbed products from Apple, all iPods. My first was a silver 4gb mini, which at the time came in the regular new retail box that they all came in which was nice. Being my first iPod, the expectations were high and it blew me away. Perfect condition and it lasted me about 3 years until I got rid of it for a nano, the mini was in better condition than the nano, but the battery life had dimished a lot, but that was to be expected. Two that I recently got was the previous generation 1gb nano for my brother and a silver 4gb nano since they lowered the price to $129 for myself. Both again were in perfect condition and I can say they will probably last us both a long time. Just don't plan on giving them as a gift to anyone considering it says "refurbished" all over the box. :D All that matters is the contents inside which has always been perfect for me.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i bought my nano refurb. I bought it back cause of battery issues, their was a scratch on the bottom near the dock connector, i brought it to apple and they gave me a brand new one...

19. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Bought a blue shuffle for my bro's birthday, looked and worked like new.