Refurb Ipods, why say it ships in 24 hours when it really doesnt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zmmin3, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

Is this the norm for refurb Ipods?

So this past Wednesday, I decided to buy a refurb current gen 32gb Ipod Touch from Apples refurb store. I figured that for $259 that was a great deal.
    It stated that it shipped in 24 hours. It stated that it would arrive between, March 11th and March 16th. Though for another $10 I could have it in 2-3 days. So I opted for that cause I wanted it :)

I kept checking status and late last night it said it still said was prepared for shipment. Then today I got a tracking number:)..but that stated it would be arriving on March 17th...the 17th?:eek: thats longer than if I had just done regular free shipping.

So I called Apple...they said to please be aware that all refurb Ipods come from China and will take 2-3 days to ship and longer to arrive.
    I asked then why does it say that it ships in 24 hours and why offer 2-3 day shipping when that is not a real possibility? She said she was sorry for the confusion but all refurb Ipods come from China and do not ship within 24 hours and cannot arrive in 2-3 days. I then asked to be credited back at least the $10 which she did.

Just to make sure I wasnt imagining things, I went back and checked and yes it clearly states is ships in 24 hours.

After the probs I had with my refurb Macs I was hesitant to order from refurb store again. The misinformation about the shipping is another point against the refurb store for me.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Refurbs ship when they are available. Online store is not always right and it says ships in 24h even though there is 0 available.

3. Zmmin3 thread starter macrumors regular

From what I remember, I believe refurbs are only listed when they are available. I know its that way with refurb Macs. If its not listed then there are none available. The Ipod I purchased was listed.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Apple's shipping times have never been reliable. My first mac, a PowerMac G5, said it would ship in 3 -5 days and took 3 or 4 weeks to ship. I had also asked for quick shipping, but that turned out to be pointless. On the other hand, when I bought a macbook, I decided to go for the free shipping and it basically arrived overnight from China. It's not to do with the refurb store, it's apple.

5. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Cheese?

Some cheese to go with that whine?

Global poverty, earthquakes, war and a million other things, and you feel the need to complain about a couple of days delay in obtaining possession of your $250.00 toy?

Perspective man, perspective.:rolleyes:

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Some lemon to go with that snark?

If you hadn't noticed, this is the Apple Hardware>Buying Tips, Advice, and Discussion subforum. There's always PRSI if you want to focus on the world's woes. :rolleyes: back at'cha.

7. Love macrumors 68000

Love

That was just unnecessary :rolleyes:

8. Zmmin3 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure what part of the business world you work in but in my company we dont do that. We would not go telling our customers they will have our product on such and such date knowing full well that they really wont (and our product cost a lot less then $250.00!) Thats just poor business.

9. Zmmin3 thread starter macrumors regular

This was the kind of input I was looking for..thank you

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

"Ships" not "Arrives"

They ship from China, sometimes there are delays.