refurb: is C2D worth it over CD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kymac, Nov 28, 2007.

1. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

my parents are both buying refurbished macbooks, mom wants white and dad wants black. they both will use it for internet and my mom uses iphoto lightly. so is buying the core 2 duo really going to change much? or will the core duo be fine to have a computer lasting them a couple years. my moms ibook g3 is moments away from death so anything new will be faster than what shes used to [: and my dad is switching. finally! thanks for any help.

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

They will likely be fine with a core duo. The great advantage of the C2D is that they are 64 bit and I think the FSB might be faster, but nothing that will make much of a difference using the internet or iphoto.

Take the money saved and buy some aftermarket RAM. That'll make more a difference in day to day usage.

Good luck.

3. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Let me put it to you this way. According to primatelab's cinebench benchmarks, the early 2006 Mac mini Core Duo 1.83 GHz scores 2302, which makes it more powerful than the June 2004 dual G5 2.7 GHz Powermac which scored a 2269.

In other words, the mini will smoke a g3 ibook, and is plenty fast for anything your parents will want to do.

5. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Just one other thing to note between them.
    As far as i'm aware, Apple Core Duo's only support up to 2gb ram. The C2D go up to 3.2gb as far as i'm aware. I suspect though it won't ever make a substantial difference to your parents.

6. ryanw183 macrumors newbie

ryanw183

Battery life should be a bit better on the Core 2 Duo's