Refurb Last Gen Macbook Pro or Refurb Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WRXHokie, Dec 27, 2008.

1. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

I'm finally getting rid of my G4 Powerbook, its served me quite well, but its time for an upgrade. But I'm having trouble deciding which is best for me. What I do: I travel a bit for work, so portability is key for me, but not everything. Generally I need my notebook for email, web, listening to music, etc. With that profile you'd say Macbook all the way, and I'd agree. BUT I'm a gamer. And I like to be able to play some games on the road. I mostly play World of Warcraft and other MMO's, but I do dabble in first person shooters every now and again.

Price is also important for me, which is why i'm targeting either the last gen macbook pro or the new macbook... both of which are in the $1300 range in the refurb store.

So which is right for me? I'm leaning to macbook, but i'm afraid its shelf life for gaming will be short. Any thoughts?

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The MacBook has an integrated graphics card, while better than the X3100, it's still not great for gaming. The 8600 on the refurb MacBook Pro is dedicated will be able to play games much better.

3. ACiB708 macrumors regular

I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago, and I chose the MBP. Let me tell you. it´s the best decision I´ve made so far.

The screen is just amazing, game like WOW and Spore play smooth as hell, and it is beautiful.

I´d go for the Pro if I were you.

4. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Isn't there problems with the 8600 though? I heard they were bad chips? Or were going bad.

Keep in mind that I don't play the most graphically intensive games either, so I don't need a gaming beast, but ones thats competent.

5. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Portability is also important to me as I'm on the road a bit with it.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, then, it seems to be the old power versus portability argument. You have to decide which you need more, the power, superior performance (and better screen) of the MBP, or the portability of the MB. If gaming is a real priority, then the MBP would be strongly recommended. If portability wins out, then go for the MB. However, bear in mind that it is not a patch on the MBP for power and performance. Your call.

Cheers and good luck

7. savvos macrumors regular

I think you have to honestly ask your self how often you play games on the road. I used to have a PB G4 and it was always a slight hassle whenever I had to go on the road (which happened often). When it came time to upgrade, the MBP was attractive because I wanted to do some gaming, but I was concerned about the bump problem and getting a dated graphics card. Also I realized that I hardly gamed on the computer anymore. So I went for the Macbook and portability-wise it is a dream compared to my 15" PB.

If you don't see yourself gaming a lot or gaming a lot on the road, go for the Macbook. Also, if you are curious as to how the Macbook performs for games, there is a very long and detailed thread on that.