Refurb Mac Mini in the UK store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zygon Gambit, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Zygon Gambit macrumors regular

Has anyone ever seen refurb Mac Minis in the UK store? I've been looking for a while now, but there never seem to be any.

Do they never go wrong? Or are they snapped up so quickly I never get to see them?

2. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

I have also been checking throughout the last 3-4 weeks, and in the last 2-3 weeks there have been none.

I would suppose that less people are buying the mini because it is out of date, hence there are less returns, and therefore there are less refurbished minis available?

I am hoping it is indicative of an impending update, because at the moment, the mini is sorely underpowered for the price. :(

To give Apple a little credit, they do have to organise simultaneous 'secret :rolleyes:' worldwide shipping of the new Minis (or any new Mac), plus have 'spot on' projections for demand, and the current Mini will suit most customers just fine.

Peace and God Bless,

3. Zygon Gambit thread starter macrumors regular

Amazingly Minis seem to sell on Ebay to within £20 of their new price (at least their Educational Discount price). I need a cheap new PC, and I've been waiting for the minis to get upgraded, but it never seems to happen.

I'm also tempted by the current refurb MacBooks, but they're quite a bit more (and I have a spare screen and keyboard waiting here).

4. Gordy macrumors 6502a

There are mini's that go on the refurb page, but they tend to go very quickly.

It's a case of checking regularly to find one.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Oh if a refurbished mac mini comes along i will buy it... if it doesnt i will buy a cheap £400 model...

im merely looking for a machine to stay on all day and night doing dvd ripping and torrents...

a refurbished one would be brilliant and anyway i dont intend to store any data on it - as soon as something has finished ripping or downloading i will copy to 1TB external...

6. Zygon Gambit thread starter macrumors regular

There actually were refurb minis in the Uk store this morning, though I think they've gone now.

I'm waiting to see if there's anything new released in the next couple of weeks (though I'm a little worried by this talk of a Mac Air/Mini without a optical drive!)

7. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

The £499 is still available in the store as of now.

I wouldn't worry about the 'no optical drive' rumors. It would be a mad business decision, and has only been considered because there have been rumors surrounding a new design of the mini, which I don't see happening just yet :)

In Jesus Christ,

GB,

8. Zygon Gambit thread starter macrumors regular

It's the 1GB memory that puts me off, and I don't own any (clean) putty knives.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Can't you get a new one :confused:

Or clean the one you have got :rolleyes:

10. Zygon Gambit thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I wasn't being entire serious. But the opening the Mini difficulties do put me off getting one a bit.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Possibly, possibly not. The lack of an optical drive was not deemed to be a stumbling block in the launch of the Macbook Air. Perhaps a pepped up USB port that takes the Air Superdrive will be part of the purported design revamp. Plenty of people have external optical drives, so won't miss the slower Mac Mini drives. I never use mine, for instance. Apple still needs to do something about that oversized power brick, though.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Because you have the option of getting a laptop with an optical drive. People wanting a Penryn Mini with optical drive will likely not even consider the MP.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It isn't difficult, just take your time and it's pretty straightforward. If you fit the VGA adaptor you'll find you get a bit more leverage.