Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions as I just got a refurbed Imac and my text (the font letters) are alittle fuzzy and almost look like a printed piece of paper where the ink is missing or irregular. Not sure it is a monitor problem as I can move the open window and the issue does not stay consistent to where the screen is (like a pixel area). It shows in gmail, documents, and email. It is showing as I typing this. Any thoughts or troubleshooting I can do before I lug this to a store? :confused:

Many thanks in advance!

webella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
I hear the screen shot but I do not know how to get it here.... :confused:

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I hear the screen shot but I do not know how to get it here.... :confused:
It should show up on your desktop.

Does it look anything like this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 194

webella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Here

I think I made it an attachment...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    778.3 KB · Views: 222

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Fonts look fine. OS X renders fonts differently to Windows XP and prior - OS X puts more anti-aliasing on them. Windows 7 is putting a bit on it too. Makes them replicate very closely what they will look like printed out - good for designers.

You'll get used to it then look at a Windows XP machine and go "ooh my eyes that's too sharp".

webella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Fonts look fine. OS X renders fonts differently to Windows XP and prior - OS X puts more anti-aliasing on them. Windows 7 is putting a bit on it too. Makes them replicate very closely what they will look like printed out - good for designers.

You'll get used to it then look at a Windows XP machine and go "ooh my eyes that's too sharp".

It doesn't look fine on my side. It looks blurred and irregular and I have friends that have the same machine and the font looks perfectly good on their machine...I cannot imagine anyone working or wanting to have email and docs look like what they are coming across on my screen.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It doesn't look fine on my side. It looks blurred and irregular and I have friends that have the same machine and the font looks perfectly good on their machine...I cannot imagine anyone working or wanting to have email and docs look like what they are coming across on my screen.

The actual font looks different (as well in your Mail sidebar) to the standard OS X font (I believe is Lucida Grande), but I can't see that the active font in your screenshot is "blurred and irregular".

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
The actual font looks different (as well in your Mail sidebar) to the standard OS X font (I believe is Lucida Grande), but I can't see that the active font in your screenshot is "blurred and irregular".

I think this might mean that there is a problem with the screen. Look at my screenshot. Does the text look weird like it does where you have a problem on your computer? If it's a text rendering problem then my screenshot will look different as yours.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I think this might mean that there is a problem with the screen. Look at my screenshot. Does the text look weird like it does where you have a problem on your computer? If it's a text rendering problem then my screenshot will look different as yours.

If his screenshot looks fine to us, then how would comparing your screenshot to his make any difference..?

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
If his screenshot looks fine to us, then how would comparing your screenshot to his make any difference..?

Wow I just realized my last post was worded absolutely horribly :eek: . I really meant that he should compare his own screenshot and my own to whatever problems he seems to have if he hadn't done so already. If you have a camera it would be helpful if you could provide a physical picture of your screen as well.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Have you checked to make sure zoom is off?

Hold down <cntrl> and move your mouse scroll wheel. It will zoom in or out of your screen. Make sure it is fully zoomed out otherwise you can get blurred text.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Is your resolution set to the optimum resolution for your monitor?

I bet this is the problem. The size of the screen capture is 1280x800, which doesn't match any iMac screen resolution that I know of.

To the original poster: open System Preferences, Displays, and set the resolution to highest available. 1680x1050 in a 20" iMac or 1920x1200 in a 24" iMac.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I think I made it an attachment...

This is 1280x800 res screenie. The iMac has a sharper resolution - you're not running at native.

Change your display in System Preferences to the highest res available.

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't scroll all the way down before I replied ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.