Refurb Mac Pro, $2399, advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ProMod, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I am a graphic designer, with my main workload consisting of producing a 150 page magazine each month, as well as occasional logo, web, identity work, etc. I spend most of my day in InDesign, with Photoshop and Illustrator thrown in.

I currently use a 17" MBP 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM hooked to a 23" ACD. The combo has served me well, but I am itching for more power, especially when working with the large documents in InDesign.

I know I don't need all the power you video and photo guys need, but I would like to see more responsiveness when working. The base model Mac Pro is available in the Refurb store for $2399. Should I jump on this? Will I see any more responsiveness or other notable gains from jumping to the Mac Pro?

I am debating pulling the trigger today for business tax purposes.

Thanks!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you've made up your mind that you want a Mac Pro, I would go ahead and get it. Refurbs have a habit of disappearing quickly. ;)

Sorry I can't offer more info, as I don't do graphics design. :eek:

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go for it. The MacBook Pro is very powerful, but the Pro quite obviously is even more.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Get it, I did the same thing and while I rarely (if at all yet?) use all the power this thing has I'm still glad I have it. Also, having two full size monitors hooked up is nice instead of one smaller laptop monitor.

If you can do it and the tax break will help, go for it. I bought a refurb and love the savings.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Do you find you get bottlenecks while working on your 170 doc on your laptop? If not you're not going to see a great difference.

Are you selling the your laptop to finance the the Mac Pro? If you're working freelance and sell it you may find you miss being able to carry your office around with you.

7. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

8. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the input. I tried to call my bookkeeper, but he's not in today. I meant to check with him on the purchase before today, but can the holidays get any busier? Whew.

I don't really see "bottlenecks" per se on the MBP. It just feels like the application can become unresponsive or slow, especially when panning around. I almost think this is more a graphics card issue than anything.

My business and workload is expanding, and it almost just doesnt make sense to do it all on the laptop (although I use it in a desktop situation most of the time, external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc).

I will be keep the MBP. I have already thought about that. Definitely like the portability when I need it.

9. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I officially debated too long, the unit is gone from the refurb store. Wasnt meant to be!

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Well, they always come back in a few weeks, if you still want one.

11. albarran9 macrumors member

yep, just be on the look out and pull the trigger as soon as you see one. Apple refurbs are a great way to buy...you get full warranty as if new and they do testing on them to make sure they are working so DOA's are not and issue.

12. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I definitely will be getting one, just debated whether or not to get one today. Should have spoken with the bookkeeper to see where I stand on income vs. deductions before today! Procrastination at its finest...

13. apple2E macrumors regular

Wow I thought I waited long to pull the Deduction trigger. I bought a 2.8 8 core in November and have never looked back. I wouldn't want to tell you, but you should have pulled the trigger. There's always next year's taxes so get the newer processor once they're available.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Just keep checking - stock changes every few hours.

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I have the same setup you're contemplating *my MBP is 2.2ghz/4g RAM though. The Mac Pro is a different machine entirely....and while I do alot of video, Graphics is a BIG part of what I'm doing. You will notice a significant difference with the Pro. Just having several apps open and working between the 3 PS/ID/IL at the same time. Video will just be a new (now possible) creative outlet for you when you pull the trigger. If you can wait til the middle of this year, you may get a hell of a deal on a Pro when the new line announcement is made (sometime in Q2 or 3). This should give you a broad choice, with new stock, old stock and people willing to dump their current 8 cores for the latest, greatest Pros with Nahelm procs.

Peace

J

16. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

refurbs are always restocked within a couple of days, so don't worry. Just pull the trigger once you see the one you want on the site.

I pulled the trigger on mine in September and to be honest, the machine is amazing, and takes my creativity to a whole new level. You will definitely love it and won't be disappointed.

Get a refurb, the price savings make it very good value for $$ :)

17. justit macrumors 6502a

I'm getting a 2.8Q refurb as well, what was the condition of the case/internals/scratches? Is it true apple refurbs use brand new cases?

18. gotzero macrumors 68040

I got the refurb Mac Pro 8x2.8, and mine arrived perfectly. It is a way to save $400 and know that your MP was tested physically, and all bad parts are replaced. The warranty is the same, and you can buy AppleCare for it (the MP is the only computer I buy the extended warranty for because I know I will use it for three years, and because you can change almost anything without violating the warranty, and the parts that would go down are $$$).

19. justit macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Do you think you got a new case or just one that was cleaned up?

20. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have bought multiple refurb Macs, and there has yet to be a noticeable cosmetic (or other) problem on any of them. I have no idea if it was a new case or not, but there were certainly no problems. Mac Pros do not get moved much, so even if it is an old case I doubt you could tell.

The Mac Pro was beautiful inside and out. I always buy refurbs from Apple unless I am buying a machine that is too new to have any available, and have had nothing but positive experiences. Some of them even come with "extras", although this is not as likely in the modular Mac Pros.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

My Mac Pro refurb looked brand-spanking new. The keyboard came with a small nick on the edge that I can feel, but not see.

But I've heard of some people getting cases with minor surface flaws or that had been obviously cleaned.

22. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

My refurb MP was very clean, looks brand new to me. you just don't get the neater packaging, rather a bland cardboard box that says refurb on it. Oh darn.

23. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

There back , get that Credit Card out ;-)

THERE BACK

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

24. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macworld has come and gone. Is the verdict still the same? The Refurb is still a good buy?

25. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, but once new ones come in a few weeks, it will be even cheaper. Wait or buy now, it's your call.