Refurb mac pro startup check?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by perpetualweeknd, Sep 4, 2008.

1. perpetualweeknd macrumors newbie

Hello dears. This time I write to let you cool dudes know that I ordered a refurbished mac pro from the apple store and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Since this is my first mac (though I've used them at work and in production classes for fairly short amounts of time so not completely foreign), I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for "tests" or whatnot to perform when I get it started up, so I know that my refurb is not a RE-DUD. For some reason I'm worried about this even though every story I've almost ever heard ever has always ever been great.

Any ideas for what kind of things to look for?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if the Mac "DONGS!" when you start it up it means everything is running smoothly.

3. ant-macyourself macrumors member

You can run the Apple Hardware Test, which can be found on the disc that comes with the system. Press and hold the D key on startup and you'll be able to run some diagnostics from there to make sure everything's operating as it should.

Of course, this won't produce guaranteed results but it'll do just fine in most cases.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think turning it on and going through the setup is more then enough.

5. perpetualweeknd thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thanks party animals. Just wondering. Know so little about the full mac experience that I realized I wouldn't really know if it was all going right or not.THX

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I also have a newly-purchased refurbished Mac Pro. :)

No problems here. It arrived, I unboxed, hooked it all up, and it ran perfectly fine.

richthomas is right- when you start it up, and it goes "DONG!" then the hardware is running fine.

7. windowpain macrumors 6502a

You have just spent quite a bit of cash so I don't blame you for worrying!
    but try not to, the refurbs are all thoroughly checked before they are dispatched.I think the QC is pretty strict.

Its very rare that you get a bad one, mine was perfect.

It should come with a hardware test dvd. but if you are still worried techtool pro will do the job.

8. perpetualweeknd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks friends. After a smattering of horrible problems with FedEx Home Delivery, I am now typing from my refurbished mac pro. Everything seems to be fine. The only problem I am experiencing is the unexpected feeling of being overwhelmed... there is so much power here, so many applications, so much to explore. Just thinking about it is almost exhausting. But that's probably because I'm so dumb as hell and my brain can't decisions*

*good

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Mac. I doubt you'll be overwhelmed for long - the MBP is a great machine and you'll enjoy having it and using it.
    Good luck with it.
    Cheers