Refurb Mac pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbwrobel, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dbwrobel Guest

I'm looking at getting a Mac pro and have been sorta on the fence about it (currently own a 2011 15" MacBook pro I maxed out but probably going to try to sell because the fan noise and heat it's generating is worrying me it won't last the 4-5 years I plan to keep it for)....anyway I'll be starting my phd soon and I was looking at the refurb store and the one for 2199 in the Canadian store caught my eye:

2.8ghz quad xeon
    Radeon 5770
    3gb ram (would likely upgrade)
    1tb hd
    SuperDrive

I'm hoping this machine will last me for many years and I will be using it to run simulations and do scientific stuff (aerospace and computational fluid dynamics as well as video editing on the side part time)...would anyone recommend it? I would likely also eventually get a MacBook air for on the go stuff (or an iPad). I also took a look at the iMacs but I already have two screens, nice speakers, etc

Also, as far as upgrades go I'm kinda hoping for some expandability...is it possible to upgrade the CPU in these machines?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your current MBP might actually be faster, especially in CPU intensive tasks. Unless you need the upgradeability of Mac Pro, my advice would be to take a look at the iMac. The new 27" offers two display outputs so you could keep using your current displays alongside the 27" monitor. Separate speakers are almost a must anyway. iMacs are currently much faster than the Mac Pro in CPU intensive tasks like the ones you will be doing so getting a Mac Pro doesn't make that much sense now, unless upgradeability is a must.

3. dbwrobel, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

dbwrobel thread starter Guest

Is there any issue with heat though from them? I used to have the 2008 model as well as an i5 in 2010 and they were so hot to touch even at idle; running anything intensive I would burn my hand lol

My big sorta concern is I want it to last...reading about people spending a lot and then having their machine die after their warranty expires makes me nervous :S This machine will be used on a daily basis very very often running high intensity tasks.

4. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

Sorry, forgot to add the last option would be to build a very high power custom pc...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Aluminum is a great conductor so its purpose is to get hot as then the heat is transferred from inside to outside. iMac isn't a laptop so I can't see the heat being an issue as it won't burn your lap anyway.

Same stories can be read about any machine. Get AppleCare so it will last at least 3 years. After that, you should consider a new computer anyway if you run intensive tasks, maybe even after 2 years already.

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Solid advice from HH, as always:cool: