refurb MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OR MacBook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mlblacy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Hey all, here's the situation.... I am looking for 2 laptops for my kids for Christmas. They do not do anything intensive, and we have a lot of other toys in the house if they need to do so. Mostly word processing in Pages, research on the net, etc., no pshop, movies etc. They both got a gig hiding geocaches, so they will also be using the laptops for their new venture (will is mostly webbased).

It seems that the Apple store has some good deals with the refurbs. I have noticed the MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (with an 80gb drive, combo drive & a max ram config of 2gb) is going for the tidy sum of $799. While the MacBook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (with an 120gb drive, combo drive & a max ram config of 4gb) is going for $849.

There also is the "new" whitebook going for $999.

Does anyone have any insight or advice? The $799 deals seem to pop up and disappear randomly throughout the day, but I have found them 3 times during the last week. Is the 2.1 worthwhile for the extra ram capacity? I have an Air which is maxed out at 2gb and it has not been a problem at all.

Lastly, would you consider buying a used machine from anywhere else (as opposed to an Apple refurb).

PS: I noticed Amazon discounts the Applecare from $249 down to $199...
    THANKS,
    cheers,
    michael

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I would DEFINITELY go with the new white MacBook for $999, and get a discount for education for them to make the price $949. Also, you can get AppleCare from an Apple reseller on eBay for around $169 (I bought one last week).

I believe the new MacBook would be future proofing a little better. Having the SuperDrive will really help as the kids will get into movies and need to burn DVDs and will use the 4 GB of RAM not now but in the future (they may use some more RAM hogging programs in the future).

I always get others opinions. I think you are doing a smart thing here by not jumping into the aluminum as this White MacBook is still a great machine.

My opinion. Good luck.

3. mlblacy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks. I am leery of the machine becoming obsolete too quickly, as we don't do gifts like this every year. My eldest is a HS sophomore, and my younger is in 8th. The older one does almost all her homework now on the computer, and the younger one quite a bit as well. I have always bought my Applecare and computers directly through Apple, and didn't even know you could buy it cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. I have a pretty well equipped studio here, so raw horsepower shouldn't be a concern. 99% of what they do is word processing and web work.

Anyone else want to chime in?

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I wouldn't touch eBay for something such as a computer.* Buy from an Apple store - or other authorised outlet - and get Applecare, too.* To a large extent, I'd agree with Scottsdale, in that the "new" white MB offers the best deal.* However, whichever of the machines you buy, you'll still be getting an excellent computer.

Agree, too, about not falling for the aluminium. Time enough for that in a year or so when all potential problems have been ironed out.

Cheers and good luck

5. mlblacy thread starter macrumors 6502

EBAY really scares me for a computer, but I have heard nothing bad at all about buying a refurb from Apple. You only have to read the forums to know how many people bring their computers for one silly reason or another (often not for dire issues). Plus they have the same warranty and with Applecare extending the coverage there are few worries to be had.

The Aluminum just puts us at a different price point (remember I am buying 2, yikes), and I think that is overkill for their needs.

6. jamesrickards macrumors newbie

Ebay No Luck

I dont know whats going on at the moment with ebay and laptop's? I tried selling my 2.5ghz 4GB ram 512mb GFX card for macbook pro for £1000 and no takers....wth ????

I am gutted!

7. jamin100 macrumors 6502

i've just sold a late 2006 Macbook, 2Ghz C2D, 120GB, 2GB RAM, superdrive for £550 in P&P - Then I brought a early 2008 white Macbook refurb for £529 inc P&P

:) eBay works for me :)

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Let me clarify. I said, I would buy the AppleCare for $169 on eBay. I would NOT buy the computer there. I would buy the computer at the Apple Store or Online at the Apple.com. I was merely trying to state that AppleCare is being resold everywhere for $80 less per machine. Plus, you are going to get the $50 education discount at the Apple Store.

Cheers.

9. mlblacy thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it... but thanks for clarifying. I also contacted my Apple store, when I bought my Air along with some other stuff they gave me a pretty chunky discount (ranging from 10-15%). Moral of the story is ALWAYS ask for a discount. If one person says no... ask someone else. Also, no matter what they say, discounts do vary from store to store. The store that was farther away (but had way more convenient parking), teased with a discount that dwindled away when I went to place the order... so I headed to my local store (not expecting much at that point). They gave me a bigger discount than the other store did, and with no games. Hoping that the discount will will close the gap between the refurb and a newer model. But, if not their horsepower needs are not that high, and I am comfortable with the apple refurb units.

thanks all,
    michael

10. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I saw a mb on Apple refurb for that price-next time one comes up for £529 I shall buy it straight away! When you bought yours were there any marks or blemishes at all? And also how often do you think they mb's for £529 on Apple refurb? When is the best time to check? Thanks.

11. mlblacy thread starter macrumors 6502

went with the $799 whitebook...

Hi All, after a week or so of going back and forth in my mind I went with the $799 whitebooks. Actually I went to buy them 2 days ago, but in the 45 seconds it took to place the order and confirm it, 1 disappeared. I was settled on waiting for Black Friday and seeing what Apple had in it's pocket (guessing $50 off the Whitebooks and $100 off the Alums) a new Whitebook, OR the steal on previous gen Airs at Amazon for $1149. I love my Air, but I thought the CD burner would be handy for them... a superdrive would be nice too but... once you start multiplying by 2's it adds up quickly. I was actually thinking about the new alums, but it meant an extra $1000 (yikes).

So, my advice to anyone trying to save some bucks and get a first notebook for yourself, or as a gift, and who wants a refurb for $799 is this: check the Apple refurb/clearance store OFTEN, but ESPECIALLY around 7:00pm EST. In the last 2 weeks I have noticed them consistently appearing around then. Finding 1 is relatively easy...2 is much tougher (especially if you want them at the same time).

Also the link to the refurb/clearance store seems to have disappeared from the top level, so here it is:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Congrats. Hey, I learned from another junkie here that Live.com, a Microsoft search site, pays you rebate for using their search and buying from popular sites by going through their links. It may work out depending on how you buy it (meaning what store you use). Some stores pay as high as 10% and others 2% but if you are buying it anyways, might as well get a few bucks back. There is even an eBay rebate of 25% of purchase price... I don't know how they do that!

Good luck with the new WhiteBooks. What a bargain too!

Cheers.