Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I purchased a 11 inch 4gb refurb macbook air a few weeks ago which I absolutely love. Currently I have an iphone, imac and ipad in the same room where I have no problem getting a connection.

The macbook air always shows full bars in the utility bar on the upper right of the screen, even though I cannot always connect to the internet, unless I move the macbook air over a few feet. My airport extreme is located in the complete opposite side of the house downstairs, so I am a considerable distance from the router. It seems strange that the signal indicator always shows a full connection, even though I can't always connect to the internet. Is the wifi in the air weaker than say the iphone or imac? I'm not sure if I have something wrong with my wifi. I really do not feel like sending the air back. Is my best bet to take the air to the genius bar?

Thanks

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Perhaps reinstall osx?

I know from experience that those bars lie. Sometimes being outside my house it shows full bars (on my iphone). Sometimes my dell laptop would show 3 bars being right next to the router. Its a linksys btw, not apple branded.

At my school library my favorite spot to study is just out of range to get wifi signal but if i go in range and attain signal i can go to the out of range area and it wont disconnect,

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Perhaps reinstall osx?

I know from experience that those bars lie. Sometimes being outside my house it shows full bars (on my iphone). Sometimes my dell laptop would show 3 bars being right next to the router. Its a linksys btw, not apple branded.

At my school library my favorite spot to study is just out of range to get wifi signal but if i go in range and attain signal i can go to the out of range area and it wont disconnect,

I would agree, re-install. It may fix the issues!!! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.