Refurb macbook... come with new battery?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deen456, May 10, 2007.

1. deen456 macrumors newbie

Just a Q - Do the refurbished macbooks that apple store sells come with a brand new battery?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i think its just pot luck as with any refurb.:rolleyes: But you never know, youu might get lucky!

3. deen456 thread starter macrumors newbie

really? so I could potentially be getting a 70 or 80% capacity battery?

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

as far as i know, but batteries go cheap on ebay if your that bothered. It would cost apple to replace batteries in refurbs. I would have thought that items that need to be refurbished are returned relatively early in their lifespan, so battery life wouldnt be that bad.

Thats just the hit and miss factor of buying a refurb!

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

The battery on mine had never been used. A lot of refurbs are simply open-box items which Apple can't resell as new anymore, so they haven't been used.

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

The refurbished MacBook I got did not have any cycles on it.. so I'm guessing it's a new battery unless Apple takes the time to clear that kind of information on old batteries?

7. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I wouldnt have thought thats the sort of thing they can clear from the battery. Doesnt the battery do some sort of test on the battery to work it out when you calibrate it, rather than just keep count?

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I saw a refurbished ibook G4 years ago that was only out of the store for a week! you never know what condition "refurbished" really is untill you look inside. it could be possible that it was an open box or floor model that stayed plugged in.

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Refurbished machines are generally less than 10 days old. I'd save myself some brain cells by not worrying about getting a 99.99% battery.

It is like you ever intended to actually "use" it on the road, just taking it out in a cafe is good enough :rolleyes:

10. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I bought a 15" MBP earlier this year, and the battery had about 40 cycles on it.

MD

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

You're right that they can't turn the clock back on the battery, but on average I would say that it will have been used less than two weeks.