Refurb Macbook - Defects or no? You be the judge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trip1ex, Mar 3, 2008.

1. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Ok I got a black macbook refurb from the Apple store.

I have to say I'm disappointed. I have an iMac. Older Core Duo model. And perhaps I'm disappointed because I'm comparing it to my imac and not to other laptops. I haven't used laptops in awhile.

Anyway here's the problems I have.

1. Trackpad button. It clicks in the very middle, but on either side is just goes down. No click. It seems to work everytime, but it doesn't feel right.

2. iSight. My wife noticed this problem. IT's really slow when recording video. And the audio seems a bit out of sync with your image. For example, I blink my eyes and I can watch my eyes blink on the screen. (There's that much delay.) The iSight video playback is extremely choppy too with the audio seemingly out of sync with the video and the framerate in the single digits. On my iMac, iSight works nicely.

3. The screen. Perhaps my biggest complaint. The viewing angle just seems terrible especially the vertical viewing angle. I barely shift position and the contrast change is dramatic. Night and day compared to my iMac.

Also when scrolling down a webpage (using the 2 finger scroll) like in these forums there's a ton of flickering. Horizontal lines really flicker. And the dark blue color names of threads with new messages change briefly to a brighter blue color while scrolling. I know scrolling isn't perfectly smooth, but I noticed these artifacts right away. My iMac seems much smoother in comparison.

I also noticed when I drag windows that they really flicker alot too. And I was getting some weird thing happening where the cursor would change rapidly back and forth from a pointer to a hand while I dragged a Safari window. It still works it just looks pretty wonky and it doesn't always do it.

Ok am I being picky or are any of these legitimate defects? Or is this just the nature of the Macbook. I'm curious because I'm returning it for these problems and requesting a refund and don't want a restocking fee.

2. lfc200 macrumors member

These are not normal for a macbook. I dont have any problems like this with my macbook. I would just return it as quick as possible and get another macbook

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Defects I would say.

Have them take it back and give you another refurb.

4. SKOTTIEG23 macrumors newbie

I agree- Return it. I got my refurb MB 2.2 two weeks ago and have none of those problems.

5. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

My macbook pro touchpad button used to click in certain places, after a while of using it it just stopped so i think it was just a bit of swarf or something.

Im getting a refurb macbook delivered tomorrow so i'll report back as to what condition it is in.

6. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Yeah, my white refurb macbook looked practically brand new.
    There was only the usual tiny tiny scratches because of the shiny
    white plastic finish, which I expected.

Take it back before it's too late imo!

7. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Defective. Bring it back and they will exchange it right on the spot.

8. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

Sweet. Thanks guys. I got a RMA with the Apple online store.

9. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

#2 and #3 are probably normal. My iSight always has a bit of a delay and it's a known fact that the Macbook screen has an extremely poor viewing angle

#1 and your flickering/scrolling are most likely problems tho

10. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

My white MB turned up just now.

It was a bit dusty and the screen has smears on it but apart from that its 'ok'

Im a bit dissapointed by the screen, its got a pretty slow refresh compared to my x1600 MBP and angles are awful, mind you i was probably spoiled by the XPS M1330 led screen i just sold for this.

The keyboard on these things is terrible, it keeps missing that i have hit the keys :mad:

11. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

really isight is that bad? I don't use that much on my iMac, but the son likes to use it once in awhile and it's fairly unusable on the Macbook for video as it doesn't seem to do a full 24 fps. I hate to get another MB if that's the norm.

the screen sucks, but I've grown a bit used to it. and in the right position it's good. Still not ideal, but I guess one adapts fairly quickly. And I guess getting an external monitor is a possibility for when I'm at home on the desk.

The mouse button. I guess it's not a biggie. I started tapping instead of clicking. It does click nicely in the middle although the edge squishiness remains.

I found out the scrolling artifacts are only on certain webpages depending on the color and size of the type used. And it's only doing the 2 finger scroll. I guess the best to describe it is the text flashes when you do a 2 finger scroll (it briefly whites out or changes color.) Annoying, but I guess I can train myself not to look when scrolling or use the arrows on some webpages.

As you can see I guess I've taken a deep breath and warmed up to the MB a bit. I have a return number, return shipping and an email stating I get a full credit, but I might give it another day or 2 to see I warm up to it further.

I think I would be happier with the MBA or MBP, but those are $700ish more. And that puts them into 24" iMac territory which then adds another option.

I guess I'm the typical Apple waffler. Which one to get?