Refurb macbook, original price ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tex-Twil, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'd like to buy a macbook for my girlfriend for xmas and I think I'll go for a refurb one. I would like to know what was the price in Europe of this MB before the October release :

2.4 Ghz
    2GB Ram
    160 GB HD

Now, the refurb price is 959 € and I'm wondering if it's a good deal. Maybe it's better to pay 200€ more and get the new low end unibody MB for 1199 €

Does Apple usually make some Xmas discounts ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. timestoby macrumors 6502

if you can afford to pay for a new mb then why dont you get that one?

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hmm, maybe that's the real question. I think that the "old" MB will be enough for her.

4. tiartrop macrumors regular

The new one will last longer.

5. molala macrumors 6502a

The German Apple website says it used to cost €190 more, that's not a huge discount but it is a good deal. In the UK it was £829 before Oct 14 and the refurb is being sold at £659 (£170 discount).

6. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yeah that's right, I forgot that they say how much you save on apple store :)

why ?

7. JBazz macrumors 6502

I have bought Apple refubs. The only difference is the boxing. You dont get the nice consumer boxing, instead generic ones.

The only reason I would advise to stay away from the previous generation macbook would be the facia cracking problem. Not sure if they upgraded the facia to fix it or not. But they do know it is a problem and will replace it for free. Not sure how long that will be continuing though.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If someone only looks at this site they could come with the impression that the new alu Macbook have a ton of problems. Yes some people have had problems with the previous gen Macbook with cracking (I have owned 2--no cracking, wife has owned 1--no cracking, and I have 3 friends with them and they have had no cracking). I carry mine everyday and travel with it quite a bit. I don't baby it at all. Apple will repair them if they do anyways. 30 minute job. Besides that minor cosmetic problem (as I said some have had problems, others haven't) the previous gen has been a real winner for Apple, just like this new one will hopefully be for Apple. As with anything, people who have problems tend to post more than those who don't which makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.

Oh they did make the plastic stronger with the last gen or 2 of the previous gen..

9. JBazz macrumors 6502

I said the only reason, not that I would NOT buy another previous generation Macbook.

Mine was almost 2 years old when it started the cracking, 1 year out of warranty. Lets see how yours makes the 2 year mark.

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i real question is the relationship! is the lady worth the extra 200? :eek:

kidding!

i would try to go with the new aluminum. the improvements are much better and far more durable. you will have almost a timeless laptop. the white is sexy, but the problems that could arise would cost you way more than the extra money for the ALU. MB. your choice mate.

cheers

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

One of my friends has had his since they introduced them and has had no cracking. My wife's is almost 2 years old and no cracking. The Whitebook I owned before this Blackbook I own now was slightly over 2 years and I treated it like crap and it had no cracking. I thought I said above I have owned 2.

Listen I'm not saying others haven't had any problems with cracking. They have I guess and Apple fixed it. I just haven't met anyone in real life who has had the problem. My friend has worked at the Apple Store for 2 years and she told me there has been some problems, but nothing she would describe as widespread.

As I said before, if I was new to Mac's and came to this site to do research on the new alu Macbook I would come away thinking it has a ton of problems. I know better though. I know those with problems are always the ones to post and the vast majority who love their laptops rarely do.

12. JBazz macrumors 6502

I post all the time and mostly it wont be about problems.

My crack was more than just a crack, it was a piece that stuck up off the side about 2 inches. I had to scotch tape it down to keep it from hanging up on my hands and clothing.

It was the reason I sold my black macbook and got the new one so soon after release. I figured, since it was looking good after apple fixed it for free, I needed to sell it immediately before it cracked out again. If it werent for the cracking problem, I never would have upgraded so soon. I was satisfied with my macbook....until it cracked on me.

PS Still own my G3 ibook 900mhz. Never cracked. Never had a days problems out of it. It kept running so long that by the time I was ready to upgrade, it wasnt worth selling.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

What problems? I love how people make outrageous statements without saying what they mean or without proof. The previous gen has been rated by independent sites/news sources as a great laptop.

The new alu Macbook is only timeless until Apple decides to redesign it again. Just like the previous gen..

To the OP. Both are excellent laptops and I'm not going to bash one over the other to make me feel better. Just take in consideration that this site is very biased and the people who post (most) have biases as well. Whatever machine they own they will typically say it is the best and the others aren't as good or whatever. Go play with both, weigh the differences through independent articles on it and look at the specs. Then buy the one you think is best for your gf considering price and anything else you want to consider.

14. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Thanks for your opinions.

I think that I have to decide alone and I'll go for the prev gen MB. I don#t want to go beyond the 1000€ limit and the prev gen MB should be enough for her (internet + photoshop + freehand).

Right now she has a really old desktop PC (1Ghz, 512 ram, dying HDs) so the difference of performance will be noticable.

The new MB would be a VERY nice present. indeed, but the prev gen MB will be a good compromise.

I'm not that rich after all (I've had a real job for only one year) and I've just got myself the new MBP :) So it will be enough money burning for now :p

cheers,
    Tex

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are a nice guy and she will love it. Performance wise there is no difference between the last gen and this one except graphic wise which most people won't notice unless they play games or some graphic intensive app.

I will be getting the new one next year when hopefully there will be a performance difference with the new intel chip and Snow Leopard in it (that is when I can justify upgrading b/c there will be a clear difference). Plus I'm hoping Apple will put in new screens and fix the problems they have with the Macbooks right now.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Don't be afraid...

God, for your sake, I hope she's not reading this....:eek:

17. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

outrageous satements? i said problems that MAY happen. i didnt even list any of the many problems that happen with the previous gen macbook. cracking of the palm rests. poor screen. cracking of the case, failing hard drives. yes they are rare but you can scratch off half of those problems happening with the new macbook. we know the macbook is a great laptop. the new one is just designed better.

sorry for posting POSSIBILITIES. didnt mean to sound OUTRAGEOUS AND LIST CRAZY THINGS!

dont worry we all still think your black macbook is cool, hogfan. you dont have to over defend it.

18. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hmm it looks like the refurb MB are getting rare. Since octobre they are rarely on the apple site and when they are there, they're gone in a day. At least in Germany.

I think the next time I see it, I should get it ..

Tex

19. molala macrumors 6502a

In the UK, I noticed they update the refurb store every weekday after midnight (almost 1am). And the previous generation MacBooks are usually gone by 8am. You might just have to sleep late or wake up early.

20. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yet another question about this topic. When will we see the new gen MB in the refurbished offers ? Which price can we expect ?

Tex

21. gonyr macrumors 6502

I would guess probably within the next month or so, once they start getting a significant number of returns. The discount will initially be fairly small - probably in the neighborhood of 12% or so.

22. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Well 12% would make the new MB close to 1000 euros

Maybe I'll wait untill Christmas to see what's going on.

Thanks,
    Tex