Refurb MacBook Pro 15" 2.0ghz $1,349 - Did I Make a Mistake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fripp, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. Fripp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #1
    I’m a switcher that has just pulled the trigger on his first Mac, but in my haste I may have made a goof. I was pretty set on buying one of the newly revised MacBooks, but I the just jumped on a Refurb MacBook Pro 15” 2.0 GHz Core Duo (512mb, 80gb, P/N: FA600LL/A) for $1,349 (Still up for those interested: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...201&cjid=10480985-552179-305200-2-0-ARTICLE-0)

    I know the good deals can go quickly in the Apple Refurb store so I immediately jumped on what I thought was a screaming deal the previous revision of the MBP (the latest revision prior to last Tuesday). Ooops. Stupid me. Turns out I just purchased last years Core Duo model and not one of the more recent Core Duo 2s. I also believe that this version does not have the wireless-n and only single layer DVD burning SuperDrive. I have no problem with the 512mb as I will be immediately changing the ram to 2GB sticks, but do I understand correctly that this revision only allows for a max of 2GB ram (as opposed the last revision at 3gb and the current at 4gb)?

    I also remember seeing a lot of complaints about problems with the initial Core Duo MacBooks. Did this also apply to the MBPs?

    Current Score: Diligent Research -1, Thoughtful Purchase Planning -1, Idiot with Too Much Coffee in his System - ZERO

    So what is the verdict? I know I’m an idiot but is this still a decent deal? Or do I need to try and cancel my order (if that is even possible) and replace it with the new MacBook I originally speced out? This machine is planed to be a desktop replacement and my primary PC for a good while with general office, heavy photo editing, graphics and light video editing.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

    jamdr

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #2
    Can't you just cancel the order if you don't want it? Call Apple and find out.

    But fyi I have the same model and love it. There is no wireless-n but and the superdrive is single layer, but it's still a great computer!
     
  3. kellen macrumors 68020

    kellen

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #3
    I would say it depends on your budget and what you are going to use it for. I have a Core Duo and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

    As for the other stuff, are you going to use it? Wireless N is really just about range and file transfer, not speed on the internet and such. Do you have a wireless n router?

    I would say it just depends on what your needs and budget are. If you were stretching it to go to 1349, then thats a great deal. If you can spend more, then by all means do if you can take advantage of the newer upgrades in the MBPs.

    Only bad thing I would think of is that they haven't dropped any refurb prices yet in the store since Tuesday when the SR MBP's were released. So a price drop is in order sometime, but who knows when. Perhaps they will wait until they have a supply of SR MBP's and then do a price drop.
     
  4. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #4
    Well, it would have taken an additional $250 + tax to get the base model C2D that you thought you were getting. Are the extra features worth that much? That's up to you to decide. With that said, I think it's a worthwhile upgrade for the money. The biggest things are Wireless N, larger hard drive, FW800 and more RAM. The upgraded processor is less important, IMO.

    Keep in mind that you are guaranteed a machine with at least those specs. It's not all that uncommon to get a machine with higher specs when you're dealing with the refurb outlet. My refurb MBP CD had an upgraded hard drive when I received it.
     
  5. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #5
    Cancel The Order

    15" Core Duo MBPs are missing a FW800 port that was in older G4 PBs and returned in C2D models and have a poor ventilation system that was radically changed for the better with Core 2 Duo MBPs. If I were you, I would spend the extra few dollars to buy a new 2.2GHz 15" for $1799 academic. I think buying anything less than the new models is like shooting yourself in the foot. But I'm partial to all the new improvements - especially the LED screens and ability to have 4GB for only $250 more from third parties.

    As long as you don't open it, you can return it to Apple at their expense for a full refund. Call the 800 MY APPLE number immediately to begin the cancelation process.
     
  6. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #6
    Thanks for the quick reply. I would think I could cancel the order before it ships – but before I did so I wanted to get some informed opinions on the value of my purchase. If this unit is still a good deal this price I may let it stand. But if folks think it would be smarter to get the current, faster MB (or other options) then I my have to cancel.

    Is the RAM limited to 2gb on this model?
     
  7. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #7
    Thanks. So this was the same price prior to the MBP update? Seems like a sure thing that they would drop even further. Thanks for the insight.
     
  8. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #8
    You Chose The WORST Possible Model Available

    Very Much So. Can't even make it 3GB. It's a bad WORST model. Sorry if I offend those earliest adopters who are happy with one. :eek:
     
  9. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #9
    The have the CD2 Refurb for $1,600? I will have to concider that, I guess.
    Thanks.
     
  10. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #10
    OUCH! Well that's the info I am looking for. I will see about canceling.
     
  11. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #11
    Thanks for your insight; I should have known the deal was too good to be true.
     
  12. jklps macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2007
    #12
    It all depends what you are looking for..personally I think that is a better deal then an equivalent new macbook for the price, if you were to upgrade the ram after receiving it.
     
  13. kellen macrumors 68020

    kellen

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #13
    Same price. Been looking at them myself, hoping they would drop so I could get some insight to what the SR MBP's would go for.

    I would say it just depends on your cash situation. If you have some to spend, why not for justifiable upgrades?
     
  14. Jessy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    #14
    My girlfriend and I got similar MBP's to what you mentioned, and they're both so problematic that we plan to replace them after the announcements are made at WWDC, filling out the product line. I also paid only $150 more than you did, last October, and got a 100 GB hard drive, a full 1 GB RAM stick, and probably more graphics RAM. The refurb store is not what it used to be. They probably hiked the price just because of all the repairs they had to do on these pieces of garbage.
     
  15. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    #15
    yeah and a core duo isnt better than a c2d either
     
  16. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #16
    If you don't need the system immediately, I'd say cancel/return the CD MBP and wait a couple of weeks for the refurb prices to drop. Historically they drop when newer models are released. Most curiously, this did not happen upon the release of the SR/LED MBP's.

    If now is when you want to buy, I'd recommend the C2D MBP for all the reasons that Multi mentioned. And 1600 is a good price on that. Heck if you can afford it, the "entry" model 15" MBP is a lot of great machine for the price.

    Did I miss that you are a student? (per Multi's post) If so, 1799 for the current model is totally the way to go.
     
  17. itshungarian912 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #17
    I just did the same exact thing you described. I totally jumped on a MBP in the refurbs that I thought was a good deal, then found out about all of their problems and also realized that updates were right around the corner. My order had already shipped at this point so I just ended up filling out a return request form. You can send the comp back and get a refund (don't take the computer out of the box or else they'll charge you a 10% restocking fee). I ended up ordering a new SR MBP with the edu discount + free iPod, and I don't regret spending the extra money.
     
  18. Jessy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    #18
    I have no idea what this is meant to communicate. :confused:
     
  19. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #19
    I don't know why people make judgements on an entire product line based on one example. It's getting old and it's not very helpful.
     
  20. Jessy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    #20
    It was helpful to hear of the serious problems that occurred in this line all year long, before I got an Intel Mac. I got two of them because they were cheap and figured the refurbishment would help ensure we wouldn't be experiencing the problems that many users did. That didn't work.
     
  21. jeremy.king macrumors 603

    jeremy.king

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    #21
    I own this very same model...No problems and its still a very capable machine. Price seems pretty decent. I don't think you got a bad MBP, its just a tad slower than C2D MBP.
     

Share This Page