Refurb Macbook Pro 2.16Ghz worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JC0205, Nov 14, 2008.

1. JC0205 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to the forum and was wondering if you guys can help me out on this. I accidentally ordered the Refurb Macbook Pro Matte 2.16Ghz, 1 gb ram, 120 gb hard drive, ATI X1600 128mb for $1299 before tax. I accidentally clicked on the 1-click checkout thing but then I stopped the page from loading and clicked back. But I guess it went through somehow as I just found out from an email of my purchase 6 hours later!! I can't cancel it since it's been set for shipping. I was originally going to get the 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro (the $1299 one) but it was sold out (luckily or I would have ordered two comps!)

I was actually considering buying the older models to avoid the nvidia GPU problems. But now since I accidentally bought it...do you guys think its worth keeping? Its matte by the way, I'm kind of used to using glossy on my two year old sony FS laptop. Also, I won't be doing much on the laptop besides email and basic use, I just wanted a 15 inch comp with Mac OS at around $1300...so I think even the 2.16ghz model would suit me just fine.

Do you guys think I should just accept the package or deny it and just buy the nvidia one originally intended? Any help would be much appreciated!! Thankss! :)

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I have the 2.16Ghz and it's a great computer. I got rid of my 2.4Ghz because of the video card problems - it's totally up to you.

The 2.4Ghz has a really, really bright display. Crazily bright.

The 2.16Ghz is a lovely machine and I am really pleased with it. The matte screen is great.

Obviously up to you what you do, but I would keep it unless you really, really wanted the 2.4Ghz...

3. D.M.S macrumors member

being so careless as to mistakenly make a $1300 purchase online leads one to think perhaps you wouldn't know what to do with that extra 0.28GHz anyway?

4. JC0205 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, aside from my "carelessness", any comments on whether or not the Refurb 2.16Ghz Macbook Pro is worth it in terms of display, nvidia issue, etc would be helpful :(

Thanks koobcamuk for your comments! I feel better about my purchase now. :)

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've got that model except I put in a 320GB hard drive. Works like a charm. I think it should have wireless N already (you don't need that enabler thing). Display is 1440x900, pretty standard at that size. Can't say a bad thing about mine except for the little nicks I have put on it just by using it. Battle scars, ya know. I spent $1799 for mine brand new (education discount!), so you're getting a good deal.

I must stress for you to upgrade that HDD if you get the chance and if you download, well, anything. 120GB isn't what it was about 2 years ago. You could wait to see how much the SSDs fall and maybe just go for a speed boost. But I got my 320GB 5400rpm for, I want to say $160. Maybe less.

If you use it as a desktop replacement, get a USB-powered fan. Never hurts to circulate more air.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

No problem. :)

I really love my computer. The 2.4Ghz MBP also didn't shut properly and wasa tiny bit warped. Only realised this when I got the 2.16Ghz and it closed perfectly.

I second the idea to upgrade the hard drive, but it depends on your needs. Mine is not my primary computer, so I don't need to worry about that too much. I have plenty of room. I do recommend a firewire 800 external drive for backups. Once you use firewire 800, you wont want to go back!

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I wouldn't worry at all. You've got a great computer, and you can always sell and upgrade in a year or two if something much better makes an appearance. Meanwhile, enjoy your splendid new MBP.

Cheers and good luck

8. six.four macrumors 6502

I know this is probably what you don't want to hear, but if it were me, I would definitely return it and wait for a 2.4ghz. If it's from amazon, just refuse delivery.

Why? If the 2.4ghz you're referring to is the penryn version (early 2008), then it is absolutely no question. Even if you're referring to the merom 2.4ghz (which you most likely are), I would still purchase the 2.4 over 2.16. The GPU issue sucks, but you get a far more advanced macbook than the 2.16.

While the late 2007 and early 2008 revision only had minor differences (penryn proc + multitouch), the difference between the 2.16 (early/late 2006 I believe) and the late 2007 are more notable. Aside from the speed bump, the 2.4ghz uses an LED screen which makes for a brighter display and better battery life, has a small bump in the superdrive, and uses a completely different chipset.

As I noted in another thread, the 2.16/2.33 uses the older 945 chipset whereas the late 2007/early 2008 uses the 965. Besides the notable difference in GPU's, the 945 chipset can only address ~3.2 gb of memory.

$1300 isn't really expensive, but one has to consider that the 2.16 is now 3 generations and 2 years old which included (in my opinion) some significant upgrades. Even with the GPU issue, I'd hold out for a newer revision.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You may have made a mistake but once you open it you own it. If it was me, I would call and tell Apple that you ordered the wrong MBP. They do update their inventory regularly so you can wait till one is available. See if it's already been shipped and see if you can upgrade to the Early 2008 2.4. They do not refund on refurbished machines just exchange defective ones. Did you check out macmall and compare specs and prices? They have a rebate on all MBP's new and refurbished.

10. JC0205 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your comments guys!

I actually just got off the phone with Apple and I told them that I was indecisive on whether to get the 2.4 model or the 2.16 model for the same price. I told them that I was getting more from the 2.4 for the same price and they decided to take off $75 from $1299 for the 2.16 model to persuade me to keep it. I tried to ask for more but she said that was the max.

So now its $1224 for the 2.16 model or $1299 for the 2.4. She told me that I can return everything free of charge if I don't open the boxes as they will send me free return shipping labels. Is the 2.4 significantly better than than the 2.16? I will just use it for email, internet, maybe watching a movie here and there (will the 2.16 load HD movies from apple.com/trailers really slow?), will the 2.16 suffice for me?

I am overall please with Apple's customer service as this was my first Apple experience! :D

I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but I just want to be certain that the 2.16 won't be too slow or too out of date for my needs. Thanks again!

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'm surprised that Apple had refurb 2.16 MBPs with the ATI gpu still for sale, but it's a good machine. I've got a refurb 2.2 MBP with the nVidia gpu, now 8 months old and so far, perfect.

A few points: The older version that you ordered is a good machine, and will certainly do what you need it to do for a long time. The main difference is that the screen is not an LED backlit screen, and I can only say that I love the brightness of mine. However, it may not really make that much difference to you. The other thing is the RAM. I think the mid-2007 SR versions came with 2gb, and you said your only has 1gb ram. I'd definitely up that to 2 or 4 gigs, and you should be in great shape.

The price difference is really not that great, but use the discount they are offering to upgrade the RAM, and enjoy your machine. In some ways the older machines might even be better built, as is often the case...:cool:

12. JC0205 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohh, I didn't realize the 2.16 ghz model does not have the LED screen. Is there a big difference in image quality and brightness? :(

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The LED backlighting is overrated. ;)

14. six.four macrumors 6502

depends on the opinion.

Much better image quality? No.

Brighter? Yes

Better battery life? Yes

Overrated or not, LED is a significant improvement over CCFL. Nobody can deny that.

15. showtime macrumors 6502

I would return it or refuse delivery. IMO $75 is not worth the difference in generations, especially when there are significant differences such has the chipset and LED screens.

The LED screens are suppose to be a lot crisper while saving power as well. And as others have pointed out the 2.16ghz macbook pro can only address up 3.3GB of RAM whereas the newer ones will utilize all 4GB if you plan to upgrade.

The 8600M GT is much more powerful than the x1600. Apple has also extended the warranty of the 8600M GT to 2 years from purchase date so I wouldn't be too worried about the card.

Now the $50 difference between the Santa Rose MBPs and the Penryn MBPs is a matter of personal preference. For basic uses the only difference you'll notice is the multitouch trackpad which may or may not be important to you.