Refurb Macbook Pro Needs Applecare but I Installed an SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harryhood, Dec 21, 2011.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

I have a refurb Macbook Pro I just purchased a couple months ago. I installed new ram and an SSD, and an Optibay with the old HDD.

Some keys on the keyboard just randomly stopped working.

Can I send it back to Applecare as is or am I screwed?

2. satchow macrumors 6502

SSD and RAM upgrades are fine, keep them in. Replace the optibay with the optical drive before sending it in.

3. simsaladimbamba

You should remove the Optibay and put back the old RAM in, as the Optibay configuration is not covered by Apple, only RAM and HDD/SSD upgrades, but during repair, you might lose your RAM, while Apple puts the original amount of RAM back in. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Also make a good backup of your HDD, as it might come back replaced or wiped.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no you need to get the optical drive back in there first

the RAM and Hard Drive to SSD upgrades are fine

BUT.... if for some reason your problem needs a replacement im not sure what they will do with your SSD and RAM

5. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

OK - I'll pull the optibay and put the disc drive back in and send it on back.

Thanks

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Personally, when sending in a computer for repair I put everything back stock as much as possible. I never send my current hard drive with all my data on it. I put in another hard drive that has been securely wiped that has a fresh install of the os on it.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I think apple takes no responsibility for user installed hardware and software. Most likely they won't touch your HD and RAM, but if they replace the laptop or take the HD out for some reason, it is not guaranteed that you will get your SSD back.

And of course put the OD back in.