Refurb Macbook Pro worthy upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sailor720, Oct 24, 2008.

1. sailor720 macrumors newbie

I have a like 2007 white macbook (2.0, 1gb, 250gb hd) and I am considering buying one of refurb macbook pros from the apple store supercheap. I dont really need a new machine, but i dont like the redesign and its a super deal. I have used a pro and the screen is worlds better than my macbook, its matte and has great viewing angles both of which are important to me. I use my computer for casual internet, email and music playing, and am starting to get into photo editing as i just got a nikon d90. As it stands I need to buy applecare and a ram upgrade for my machine, or sell it and buy a pro refurb. is it worth the money?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

absolutely not. You will not get much selling your MB, and the MBP will NOT be "supercheap", the refurb is usually only $100-$200 cheaper. Honestly, do not get into the habit of jumping on "deals" like this for :apple: products, because you will find yourself constantly upgrading and such. Just be happy with the MB you have, and maybe get 2GB of ram for it instead.

3. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

I completely disagree. The previous generation mbp refurb for $1300 on apple's website is a steal in my opinion. I say go for it.

4. sailor720 thread starter macrumors newbie

as kevin points out the old design MBPs are on refurb for 1300-1350 right now which is alot less than 2000 for a brand new one, and I dont think this price will last long, which is why I am considering the move

5. minijon macrumors member

I went in for one on Monday. Currently it's sitting at the FedEx disto-center in KC, MO and should be here on Monday. Can't wait.

6. esphil macrumors member

Dude get it, I just came from a macbook core duo for 06 and I got my macbook pro refurb today. Huge difference!! I love it, screen is sooo much better. Go for it brah!

7. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

They are a great deal. Thinking about upgrading my macbook pro to one of the refurb ones.:apple:

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I would do that upgrade if I were in your shoes and I had the money to do the deal. :cool:

9. mBurns macrumors 6502

Unless you forsee needing a new machine in the nearable future (1-1.5 years), I wouldn't purchase the Refurb MBP. To be honest, they are a SERIOUS steal but it your older machine does everything you want of it, what's the rush to upgrade? It will keep on keeping on perfectly until you require more power. All MacBooks are extremely fast by today's strandards. I do understand the need to upgrade for games, some editing (although most doesn't require a good graphics card, etc). I just wouldn't be took quick to lay out the money if you don't truly need one and could use your current machine for a few more years... by the time you REALLY need a machine, who knows what Apple will have in the current lineup.

This is coming from a guy who bought his Core Duo MacBook Pro new and just put a 500 GB drive in the sucker. Obviously I'm going with the approach -- let it keep on keeping on. ;)