Refurb MacBook vs New Aluminum MacBook ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smdewart, Oct 15, 2008.

1. smdewart macrumors newbie

Hi All: Should I go for a refurb white MacBook 2.4/2/160 for $1049, or go for the new MacBook 2.0/2/160 for $1299? I don't need it for gaming -- more for everyday stuff.

I absolutely love the new form factor, but what am I really getting for $250 more?

2. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

It's debateable - but you are getting a new form factor and a better graphic card...

3. matperk macrumors 6502

Well for $250, you're getting new rather than refurb, which can be good or bad depending on who you talk to. You'd be getting the graphics that are about 5x faster and while you won't use it for gaming, it will improve speed on some things such as rendering or even just some everyday stuff.

You're also getting the newest of something. Plus it looks a lot cooler than the older macbooks. :)

4. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

If you don't care about the graphics or the look of the notebook, see if there's any of the previous generation in the clearance section.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You get a far more rigid and durable product, a much nicer LED screen, faster architecture and memory (1066 FSB and DDR3 memory).

With the X3100 graphics in the old Macbook things like Expose and Spaces and Dashboard can be a bit jumpy and not smooth on occasion.

6. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Mostly true:
    FAR more rigid? - debateable? I don't think you're going to pound either will a hammer to find out
    MUCH NICER - maybe better, sure, but "much nicer" - matter of opinion
    faster memory - sure, but how much difference will that really make

the old machines are just as good last week and they will be next week.

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

In the case of the new vs. old MBP I would say that is probably the case, but just about anything is far more rigid than the old MB.

I'm not saying it's bad, of course (after all I've used one for a long time) but the build quality does leave something to be desired.