Refurb MacBook w/ SSD off of Newegg

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleZwei, Jul 12, 2009.

1. AppleZwei macrumors member

I have some money leftover from paying bills for school, and I am thinking about getting a new laptop. I have a ****** Acer from 2006 and an iMac (late 2008).

I think getting a refurb Macbook ( around 1000-1100) then putting a small SSD in it would be a good idea. Anyone agree?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds cool. 2.0GHz MB is 949$ and 2.4GHz MB is 1099$. I would get the 2GHz and then buy a SSD drive. You might wait for new SSDs from Intel which are coming in few weeks.

3. AppleZwei thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting that 2.4 ghz, considering for 100 bucks that is a huge difference.

I don't want to spend over 150 on a SSD drive however.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

150$ for 400MHz, hmm, it's OK but do you need it? You can't get a good SSD for 150$.

5. AppleZwei thread starter macrumors member

Its the response time on the SSD that matters most. I am not worried about size,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139004

thats what I'm looking at.

What do you think would make more of a difference speed wise: a better ssd, or a .4 ghz faster processor? I am thinking the processor for apps where processing capability matters.

Also we have the same Acer laptop :D

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

CPU can not be upgraded later on but HD can. Remember that. I would get 2.4GHz MB and upgrade the HD to SSD in few months. SSDs prices are coming down all the time.

Acer is my torrent machine :D

7. AppleZwei thread starter macrumors member

Well considering that the SSD im looking at isn't too bad, I think Ill go ahead and get the MB with the 2.4 ghz processor, and get the SSD with the possibility of getting a new SSD in a few years, and upgrade ram at that time.

Yeah my Acer doesn't do anything. It' a bit useless to me.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It has quite poor read and write though. It'll be faster than HD that's sure. It's your money not mine ;)

9. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I agree, get the 2.4GHz....$100 for the bump in CPU & that back lit keys, is well worth it