Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
I was thinking about getting a Refurbished MacBook and wanted some stories/comments/advice from other people who've gone the refurb route.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I assume you're talking about refurbs direct from Apple.

I've bought refurb computers from Apple for several other people, and haven't had a problem. The one that had a hardware issue (bum optical drive in a PowerBook G4) was repaired under warranty, so while a minor hassle, the same thing could just as easily happen with a brand new computer.

Besides, if you're worried, you can get AppleCare to bump the warranty to 3 years, which gives you a pretty good amount of leeway in the event something breaks.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
From what I've seen it's hit or miss with the macbooks so far. Mostly hits though as a lot of people just don't complain. Good luck with your new purchase

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Makosuke said:
I assume you're talking about refurbs direct from Apple.

I've bought refurb computers from Apple for several other people, and haven't had a problem. The one that had a hardware issue (bum optical drive in a PowerBook G4) was repaired under warranty, so while a minor hassle, the same thing could just as easily happen with a brand new computer.

Besides, if you're worried, you can get AppleCare to bump the warranty to 3 years, which gives you a pretty good amount of leeway in the event something breaks.

Yes, sorry that's what I meant. It would be through Apple. But now that I look at the prices I'd only be saving about $100 so maybe it's not so much worth the bother.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
In the UK, they are pushin the blackbooks a lot. I know of 3 people who have bought macbooks from there and noone has a problem. We have bought loads of Apple refurbs and all have been great with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.