Refurb MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerFullMac, Feb 21, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

OK, so im a cheap skate with not a lot of money, but I want a MacBook that works, and prefrebly not the base model.

So, I looked at refurbs and saw advertising for a MacBook fir £599, but they were all gone :(. I know it will happen again and new ones get put on there all the itme, I even saw a BlackBook for about £800 which is normally £950! Thing is, are they good? Will they still work well?

Also, has anyone got any experience with Cancom?

Thanks in advance.

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

My friend brought his macbook from the refurb store and it was in mint condition and it has never had any faults he has had it for around a year now, the only difference is you dont get the nice box, you get a brown normal box :p

3. jimmyfingers macrumors newbie

My refurb MBP 2.2 arrived without so much as a finger print on it! Great savings for a super bit of kit, so you won't be disapointed mate. If you like to sit around and stare at the box your laptop came in then by all means by a new model, but like most people if you couldn't give a monkeys as to the box colour then get a refurb!

4. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

Refurbs are the way to go. Never had experience with Cancom.

5. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

I purchased a Macbook (rev. a) 2.0ghz core duo refurb in January 07, and it worked flawlessly! Beautiful machine, it looked brand new! I have since upgraded to an SR 2.2 Macbook, but trickled down the machine to another family member. It still works flawlessly!

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

As I've said time and time again, Apple refurbs are the best there is. I've bought a refurbished iPod and MacBook and neither has had a single problem.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

As long as the source is reputable refurbs are "a" "okay".

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I just brought a new blackbook education price for £816 a bit more then refurb. I have brought refurbs before and they have been immaculate and pristine.

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thanks very much everyone! Seems like its a refurb for me!

Now, should I be really cheap and get a refurb entry level or get a better one... Hmm :D :rolleyes: :apple:

EDIT: WOW! :eek:

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go mid range minimum, as resell wise it is better and also you will miss teh dvd burning capabilities. I bought a base one and regretted it so many times.

11. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well, seeing as the one I posted above is cheaper than a entry-level one but is better, I think I shall take your advice. :D ;)

12. wrparis macrumors newbie

Received macbook refurb

I finally pulled the trigger on a white 2.2 macbook refrub. Received it yesterday (friday) and looks brand new. No scratches etc... Unfortunately no free upgrades 1g Mem and 120 HD. So i ordered 4g from OWC for $95.

It did not have the 10.5.2 updates installed (along with a bunch of other application updates).

The one issue I had after the install and shutting down was that it would not reboot - it stalled on the blue screen with the spinning wheel. I did a safe boot and when I got to the login screen I clicked the back button and did a restart and all is well (FYI for anyone else).

So far the macbook is working fine, great wireless. All in all a great combination of size, weight and performance.

Compliments my 2.4ghz 20" Imac, which is not as portable.

13. Sean9689 macrumors member

All my Apple purchases have been from the refurb store. MBP, MB (Black), and iPhone. I've never had a problem with any of them and they arrived in perfect condition.

14. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

I just got my first mac, a macbook, from the refurb store, and very happy with the computer, only thing is you dont get the pretty box :) other than that, the computer is practically brand new. This is probably the way to go