Refurb MacbookPro... Good/Bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nohaver, Mar 27, 2008.

1. nohaver macrumors member

So apple has some Refurb MBPs up and the savings are close to $300 using my APP. I know the warranties are the same and you can still purchase AppleCare (totally cool) but are there any downsides to going refurb?

2. scratchyback macrumors newbie

Refurb

Nope... Maybe apart from selling it the future. I am not sure if you can ask the same amount as a 'I bought this new' MBP.
    I have a refurb MBP and I love it and also the service Apple gave.
    The money I saved went on an external...

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

The only downside is that it would probably not be a factory mint condition, having that "new mac" smell.

Other than that, refurbs are very wise alternatives to new machines. They all have the same standards, both performance wise and cosmetically.

4. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I think refurbs are a great way to save and since they go through testing you know the machine will be solid.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

They actually do have that smell. I figure it must be some kind of easily-available polish, as I bought a refurb MB from a different reseller, and it also had the smell.

To the OP, the only differences you'll see are the box the laptop comes in. Oh, and your wallet will have more money left after the purchase. Besides that, it's all good.

6. leftfoot macrumors regular

leftfoot

Everything comes in a non-descript regular cardboard box, not the nice black one that you get if you buy it new.

What a dealbreaker :rolleyes:

7. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I woudnt buy the refurb. The Macbook Pro box is worth $300 just itself. I bet if you asked anyone here if they would give up their Macbook Pro box for $300 they would say hell no. I know I wouldn't.;)

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I'm willing to give my MBP box for less than $50... :)

9. nohaver thread starter macrumors member

haha, I feel a similar "X-Box Box" ebay scam upon us j/k

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Refurb desktops scare me less, because they are subject to less abuse. But the notebook's seem risky, but that's what AppleCare is there for.

As to the box question, I have a couple, $300 really?

11. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

IMO, the only downside is that the refurbished models are usually older.

12. Pivzavod macrumors member

But older models do not have some 'modern' issues, like yellow screen on new LED MBPs..

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah so you don't resell the computer as new. :p

And yes they are worth every penny!

14. runciter macrumors newbie

Another refurb recommend'er. All the refurb products I've bought from Apple have been excellent. Other than the nondescript box it comes in (ok, giant Certified Reconditioned Product is not nondescript), everything seems as if new. But I don't think I've ever gotten the Apple stickers in the refurbs FWIW. :p Pick up AppleCare for insurance if you're sketched out by them.

15. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

I a few qustions. I'm in market for a new MBP, and will be using my student discount. Now I could get a new 2.4Ghz 15" for about $1,800, but I'm gonna risk a bad screen etc.. Or I could get the previous gen off of Apple's Refurbished site for much less.

1. Is the previous generation MBP all powered up with LED screens (15" and 17")?
    If yes, then I think I will be buying the 17" Hi-res for $2,400. Thats an insane saving imho.

2. Overall, did the Fall 2007 gen MBP have a better screen?

3. Can i use a student discount on refurbished stuff?

Sorry for hijacking this, but i find it extremely useful for everyone interested in refurbished MBP. Aside from touchpad, I dont see any improvements.

Thanks a lot guys.

16. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

1) Only the 15" was LED, and in my opinion, I think there were more problems with yellowing on it than the current ones. Also remember that on forums like this you will run into a much higher percentage of problems than what is actually present.

2) Doubtful, but as I have never compared I can't say.

3) No student discount on the refurb, but I would still order through the education store to get the discount on anything else that you add.

17. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Thanks for this quick response!
    Since the old Hi-Res 17" werent LED how do they compare to the current 17" LED? Better or worse?

Thank you!