Refurb MacBooks??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NoShoreGuy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

Hi,

I just sold my MacBook air and am thinking of getting a MBP Retina 13" this time. Has anyone bought from Apple Refurb and are they as good as a new one??? I'm wary of buying a refurb one, don't want to have issues down the road with it...

Thanks!!

Dan

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

A lot of praise on this site about refurbs from Apple. Do some searching and you can read all bout it. I'm typing on a refurb right now, a 2010 Macbook Pro 15" that I bought in 2011. Still works like a champ. Refurbs purchased directly from Apple are identical to a brand new computer. Not a flaw to be found. Plus you get the full one-year warranty, no exceptions. So if you buy a refurb directly from Apple, I guarantee you'll be 100% happy. But, if you buy a refurb from anyone else, buyer beware. Always purchase directly from Apple.

3. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If anything, refurbs get MORE stressful testing before they leave the refurbishing center than the machines coming off the new production line. Depending on your location, some third parties (notably B&H) offering new product are actually cheaper after tax & other promotions than even apple refurbished.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

My wife has a refurb MBP, late-2013. We bought it with Apple Care. I've also owned refurbbed iPads. I always look to see if a refurb (from Apple) is available before I buy new.

6. damonbus macrumors regular

damonbus

Thanks for the information. I was always curious about apple refurbished but nervous about getting a used computer and having problems. If no new macbook pro's come out next month I think I'll definitely consider buying a refurbished.

7. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

i buy my referbs from macofalltrades.com works flawlessly iv ordered multiple macs from there and its a great service.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're done a search of the forums, you'd have found thousands upon thousands of threads and posts answering your question.

Since you didn't, I'll spoon feed it to you: Refurbs are as good as new and carry the same warranty, buy away.

Sorry if I sound cranky, but this gets asked at least once every other day.

9. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I have a refurb, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
    Obviously look it over very well once you get it, just like if it was a new one.

10. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Dan,
    I have an iMac at home, due to a lot of image processing on the road, I decided on a maxed out MBP for travel,
    I decided on last years model 15" 16GB i7 500GB Refurbished,
    Looks brand new to me, works a treat, same warranty,
    And most of all, saved $1000,
    Not that you are going to save that amount on a base model but there is a difference
    They are heavy, but a very powerful machine!

11. janitor3 macrumors regular

Bought a Refurb Macbook Air in June 2014. Turns out it was only built in April 2014. Looked like it was brand new. Great buy it's never let me down yet.

12. GZR macrumors regular

Apple have a generous open box return policy so some refurbs will be machines that have just been sold to customers within the past few weeks and subsequently returned. My next machine will be a refurb unless I buy the new MBP.

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

Comparison shop. I was going to buy a refurbed 2015 unit, but found a new one for $50 more so went with that.