Refurb Macbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by italiano40, May 30, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I want to be a refurb macbook for my friend, should i be worry about any problem that it could come with?

2. blakintosh macrumors member

As far as I am concerned you should not have any problems with a refurb macbook. The only big difference is that it doesn't come in the same package as a brand new macbook.

I'm not sure but when you send your macbook to applecare you usually get a refurb so it is the same thing, a lot of people have refurbs.

I hope this helps ;)

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No.

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

anyone clarify?

5. steeler macrumors regular

I think what the poster was saying was that if you buy a new Macbook, then have to have it replaced, you're getting a refurbished Macbook.

In some cases, getting a refurb item can be even better than a new one. It will have gone through more testing than just any new product coming off the line. In the case of Apple products, I can say from personal experience that the refurbished items sold through the Apple Store are like new, except for the packaging.

Unless something changes, I plan on buying refurbished Macs (directly from Apple) from now on; unless there is a need for the current model that isn't available as a refurb.

6. blakintosh macrumors member

Thats what i was trying to say, thanks :D

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Fedex delivered my new/refurb MB yesterday. It is perfect. I am a very critical inspector, especially of manufactured / fabricated / assembled products. I am shocked how perfect it is. I have owned an earlier MB new and a later MBP new. Neither of those were as well finished a product.:confused:

9. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

This is not true. I just had my refurbished Macbook replaced because its given me so many problems. They replaced it with a brand new machine. They said they do not replace machines with refurbs due to the inability to guarantee stock of a certain model at a particular time.

History of my macbook over the last year or so

Repair #1
    White spots on LCD
    LCD Replaced
    Received machine 15 days later. LCD was cracked when I received it

Repair #2
    Sent in to repair cracked LCD. LCD was replaced
    Received machine 14 days later

Repair #3
    Backlight flickering and problems coming back from sleep.
    Replaced logic board at apple store.
    Took 3 days but problem persisted

Repair #4
    Sent to Apple Repair Depot to fix same problem. Could not fix issue
    On the 11th day I requested a replacement.
    New $1299 machine was overnighted to replace a $899 refurb I have bought over a year ago.

Take what you will from that.

10. steeler macrumors regular

Good information -- thank you for posting that.

(I've never personally had a machine replaced by Apple under warranty, so I only know what I've read from others.)

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

That's not true.. I'm in the process as we speak of getting my refurb MacBook replaced and the unit Apple is sending me is another refurb.. If they can locate similarly specced refurbed units in a timely manner they'll give you a refurb- if not, they'll replace it with a brand new unit..

I've been on both sides of this- my G4 iMac was replaced with a G5 iMac when Apple couldn't locate any G4's in a timely manner..

12. andejp12 macrumors member

I for one wouldn't worry at all about buying a refurb. That's how I bought the iMac that I'm typing on at the moment and I love the machine. It couldn't be better and it's a good way to save some $$$ while getting a machine that as others have mentioned has most likely been tested more thoroughly than a new unit and getting the same warranty etc.

Either way your friend goes I wish him/her many years of happiness with his/her mac :)

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    what he said, mine has been trouble free, am buying another this month:eek:

14. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Well I guess it goes both ways. I think the fact that they had had my machine already for 11 days probably pushed them towards giving me a new one.

I also might be willing to put some of my repair woes on the fact that it was a Rev. A

15. bennyboyt macrumors member

has anyone bought a refurb macbook that has had problems which you truly believe would have been avoided had you bought a brand new one?